Author Topic: ISO Images to SCSI drives?  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
ISO Images to SCSI drives?
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:23:42 AM »
I used to use some software on a Windows XP machine that would allow me to take an ISO image of sampler CDs and 'restore' them to SCSI media of any kind (hard drives, Jaz cartridges). I no longer have a Windows machine though. Is there any software for OS9 and below that has this capability? It would be something similar to Apple's ASR software.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: ISO Images to SCSI drives?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »
silverlining?

or use disc util in OSX.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 03:13:57 PM »
https://www.fenestrated.net/mirrors/Apple%20Technotes%20(As%20of%202002)/tn/tn1189.html
The monster disk driver technote describes how you can use the kGetADrive and kRegisterPartition driver control calls to read and write to any physical blocks. It should totally be possible to get write access to the entire disk and just copy in the iso.

If you can't find an already existing program, you could try and get one of the hackers to write one for you.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »
silverlining?

or use disc util in OSX.

I just tried Silverlining but it doesn't seem to have this ability. I used to use WinImage on a Windows PC and it worked like a charm. I could clone an entire HD or Jaz drive as an ISO no matter the file system/format as well restore them anything as well. There's gotta be something like this for a classic Mac...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »
I haven't yet tried to copy/mount/restore Akai ISO images yet but that's basically what I'm trying to do. Sometimes I also have hard drive images in foreign file formats and Toast tells me it can't mount due to that.

I need to be able to mount drives with a foreign file system without getting some dumb error, be able to copy them to ISO, as well as be able to restore them. It seems like such a simple thing but apparently it's not under OS9 and below.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:25:08 PM by Syntho »

macStuff

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:28:59 PM »
maybe im not 100% on with this but this kind of reminds me + sounds similar to how people had to create akai sample cds back in the day
where they would have a sampler with an hd filled up with samples and the only way to make it into a akai sample cd was to literally clone the hd to a CD-rom

is that something to do with what your talking about here>?
otherwise i dont see why u cant just use disk utility/drive setup?
you are gettin into like cloning software..

i just had to check if there was a carbon copy cloner app for mac os 9
https://web.archive.org/web/20020802105238/http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
looks like he started on osx 10.1

same with super duper
https://web.archive.org/web/20040114092651/http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

whats the goal here ? what are u trying to accomplish? iso image of what? to a scsi drive? removable media? (zip/jaz?)

ok so i was right; you are dealing with AKAI format disks (which is alien to most computer operating systems)
so yea; i think you are going to have to look into RAW copying/imaging solutions
http://mda.smartelectronix.com/akai/akaiinfo.htm

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:35:57 PM »
Yeah, it's Akai stuff, but also some others (Emu). I'm wondering how people did this back in the day (probably just Windows machines...). I know I can just use OSX for this, or use Windows on my Mac Pro, but I'm gonna have to install a SCSI card in either my Mac Pro or maybe one of my old G4s, plus find some suitable software. Working only in OS8.6 would be ideal though. My really old fashioned way of cloning stuff was using Clonezilla which was built on a Linux distro I think.

I don't see why there wasn't a program that can simply image/clone a SCSI drive or a CDROM with an 'ignore foreign file system error' tickbox. Even D-Sound Pro had that feature! But no image cloning capability.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 05:41:47 AM »
I just tried Silverlining but it doesn't seem to have this ability.

yeah it probably expects HFS and nothing else.

btw i´ve never used jaz with a sampler and i am not even sure if it would be allright to just clone a CD or CD image file onto it. doesnt you just store programs and banks on it like you would on a harddisk or floppy?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 07:26:59 AM »
I've copied ISO images of CDROMs and put them on Jaz cartridges before, it definitely works. I got it all sorted out now though, just had to use some another method besides software for OS9.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 04:54:40 AM »
Back in te day people used Astarte CD Copy for cloning sampler CDs. Or Toast's 'Disc copy' function. Then burned using Toast. One can also clone devices using FWB Hard Disk Toolkit.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

macStuff

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 05:29:26 AM »
theres probably alot of different ways to do it tbh

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 06:16:39 AM »
Back in te day people used Astarte CD Copy for cloning sampler CDs. Or Toast's 'Disc copy' function. Then burned using Toast. One can also clone devices using FWB Hard Disk Toolkit.

When you put a CDROM into the drive with an unknown filesystem though your Mac makes you spit it out. Hmm... Maybe running Toast first, then inserting it when Toast is the foremost application it'll work. Guess I need to try it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
One can also clone devices using FWB Hard Disk Toolkit.

he is right, there is FWB.