Author Topic: Navigation & Workflow tips  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Navigation & Workflow tips
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »
By default this is addressed to Gary since he'll be the first to reply anyway  ;)

I've got SVP down to a T in most areas but I'm curious to see if there's room for improvement in my navigation.

Do you use autoscroll?
Do you scroll forward and back in time using the purple scrollbar or the little arrows? Or some other way? This is probably my most important issue.
What about up and down too?
What about when zooming? Just the little magnifying glasses?
What have you found to be your most-used key commands?
Are you a fan of markers?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Navigation & Workflow tips
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:18:44 PM »
By default this is addressed to Gary since he'll be the first to reply anyway  ;)
Well, I gave it almost a week to allow room for anyone else, but……… (pic of crickets goes here)

So, briefly:
Do you use autoscroll?
     Always

Do you scroll forward and back in time using the purple scrollbar or the little arrows? Or some other way? This is probably my most important issue.
     Purple? Yours is purple? I use the "little arrows" and another way……SEE BELOW

What about up and down too?

SEE BELOW

What about when zooming? Just the little magnifying glasses?
     SEE BELOW

What have you found to be your most-used key commands?
     The key commands I use depend on the task at hand. Recording, overdubs, editing and mixing all tend to use different sets of commands BUT in general, the transport (play, stop, pause etc,) opening / closing windows, scrolling, and the stuff you do repeatedly PLUS a few little things like canceling the clip indicators in the Record Monitor, 1-click "Open the manual", etc.  Huh??  SEE BELOW

Are you a fan of markers?
     Generally, yes. For example, I always list the arrangement parts in the Meter window so they appear in the timeline at the top. Ex. Verses = A1, A2… choruses = C1, C2 … Occasionally to mark punches etc.etc.

BELOW

Despite the fact that you can assign ANY menu command to a key combo in the app, there are a few often-used functions for which there are NO menu commands - scrolling, certain buttons like solo, mute, Strip chart on/off etc. For all of those, my best friend is Quickeys. QK can reliably hit the little arrow to scroll up/down, zoom in/out ONLY horizontally or vertically, cancel the clip indicators or even run a short sequence to open the manual in Acrobat, zoom it to a good size and shrink the window to fit with one click. I have the SAME one-key command for this set in a number of apps in OS9.

By the time you add up the ones built into OS9, the app-assignable ones in SVP and the all the rest with Quickeys, the only problem is remembering them all. I DID have a QK command to open a list in Textedit where I could make a reference combining ALL possible commands in order but that really started to feel a little too anal and I decided if there were some I simply couldn't remember, then I must not be needing them that much anyway and that's what mice are for…