Author Topic: SampleCell II Plus TDM  (Read 8659 times)

Offline Blzproductions

• Valued Member
SampleCell II Plus TDM
« on: May 10, 2019, 05:57:11 AM »
Hi

Got a slightly weird one with my ProTools rig.
I have TDM Mix 3 system with an additional SampleCell II Plus with the TDM card.
In this configuration, if I run Digitest all is well with the world and everything passes.
If I take either of the Mix Farm cards out (ie. Mix 2), the SampleCell card fails the Digitest due to TDM Transmission failure.

"Why would you remove a card" I hear you ask... well I'm running Turbosynth and need a AM III card to handle the diffuser DSP requirement, so have to slim down due to insufficient card slots. (SampleCell fails with the AMIII card installed as well)

I have a expansion chassis, but the SampleCell is too early a revision to run in it :-(

Anyway... Any ideas why I might be getting this error for any config less than MIX3?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: SampleCell II Plus TDM
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:45:28 PM »
when you remove a farm card, are you moving the other cards over or are you leaving 'empty' slots?

Offline Blzproductions

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:37:04 AM »
I'm removing a card, and then arranging so the slot order/config is correct.

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 02:32:38 AM »
hi,
'diffuser'  i got it to work with a digidesign accelerator and a nubus system.  Whist the icon was available with an AudioMedia card, on a G4, it ever actually effected the sound.   Are you sure it is doing anything with your AM card anyway?

Offline Blzproductions

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:45:27 AM »
Yes the AM card works with Turbosynth just fine.
You have to set it up in the Turbosynth config, but then the diffuser function works fine.

Despite the SampleCell TDM card failing the digitest, it seems to work fine in practise.
Turbosynth loads tye sample into SampleCell, and then plays it out via the ProTools interface.

Offline orgo98

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 11:03:04 AM »
Hi

"Why would you remove a card" I hear you ask... well I'm running Turbosynth and need a AM III card to handle the diffuser DSP requirement, so have to slim down due to insufficient card slots. (SampleCell fails with the AMIII card installed as well)

could you please elaborate on the "Diffuser DSP" thing? I plan to run a Samplecell 2 (non TDM Board/late revision) alongside Turbosynth with either an mbox or a MOTU FW-Interface.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »
The diffuser is kind of building block for making reverb. It only runs when you've got a Digidesign card with a 56k DSP on it, like AudioMedia or ProTools, in addition to the SampleCell.

I got an AudioMedia II partially to use it, and I can't say I've run it much. I've not really got stuck in with it, but it doesn't seem to do anything interesting to the sound. Maybe if you run a couple in parallel with some delays etc. maybe you could make a tinny sounding reverb. It's not some amazing high-end sample mangler, unfortunately.

Very much optional, though in my case it being a single card means I can run ProTools alongside the SamleCell in a Quadra 700, for four-track hard disk recording. Pretty sweet.