Author Topic: Chasing Tone - Pignose & Dwarf  (Read 12457 times)

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Chasing Tone - Pignose & Dwarf
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2020, 02:56:49 PM »
That was one awesome post, your almost making me buy a dwarf, a mouse, or a mini wall of sound...

I could make a 24" wall of micro cabs... get the Spinal Tap tiny Stonehenge in front of it... and put on a show

alas, but I have way too much "stuff" already :)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
CRATE Taxi
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 07:07:13 AM »
Okay, one more…

CRATE Taxi TX30
Screaming Yellow Zonkers?
No... didn’t paint the tolex.

Slightly larger than the Lectrosonics Maxi-Mouse and with a single 12 Volt SLA battery (as opposed to the two six volt batteries in the Maxi) it’s just a bit heavier (19 lbs.) than the Maxi (13.5 lbs.). Maybe Lectrosonics had no patent on that cabinet shape, as they are so very similar. The Crate “Taxi” came in both 15 Watt & 30 Watt models AND had more bells, balls, whistles and k-nobs. Wonder if the Taxi and the “Limo” (50 Watts) competition had much to do with Lectrosonics’ market bow out? Like the Pignose, production of the Crate Taxi and the Limo moved to the Far East (in 2005) before ceasing production. Original price unknown, circa… year 2000.

For more info on the Crate battery-powered portables (especially the Limo) visit - https://cratelimo.wordpress.com

Acquired this refugee of the sidewalk four days ago… and after a bit of applied OCD - didn’t turn out too bad.
(That lower right, back, exposed tolex seam couldn’t be pulled enough.) Ordered a new battery - have only
played it with eight D batteries & USB battery bank (12 volt BirdCord adapter). So far it’s impressive - but
looking forward to Full Power.
Front *CRATE logo badge, indicative of made in USA. (Same for the 50 Watt LIMO model.)

Performance similar to Roland Cube Street (sans Cube modeling features)
and @ nearly half the size. And a very long way away from the Pignose.

But, oh yeah… Twenty Bucks!

May swap out the original 8” speaker with a newer Jensen.
Or even wire an external speaker jack / rated 8Ω.
(And that’s a 2” piezo tweeter, upper right.)

Oooh la-la, mon ami.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 07:23:50 AM by FBz »

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Chasing Tone - Pignose & Dwarf
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2021, 07:29:09 PM »
I just smoked an awesome Cuban cigar and jamed out with my "Cigar Box" amp...

This baby makes a pignose Picayune and is mightier than a moose, it also makes a taxi seem trivial !

LOL, maybe none of those statements are true, but the amp is still cool.