Author Topic: Copying/reassigning workflow  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Copying/reassigning workflow
« on: April 30, 2019, 05:09:20 AM »
I've got about 20-30 drum midi files to reassign to different midi notes/midi outputs and I'm wondering what the best and fastest method for this is. The midi files are programmed in the GM note format (they were all made with the default Quicktime OMS thing) but now I want to send all of these to different modules. Importing the GM midis then copying over their notes doesn't work quite like I thought. I could just reassign everything manually one note at a time for every midi but pfft there's gotta be a faster way. How would you go about getting your tracks set up the fastest?

One other thing: I have a HW sampler and I have different drum patches that I can load into it: a metal kit, a pop kit etc. The note mappings are different for each kit, so I'm wondering if I I'm going to have to play with the Names window a bit and set up some different patches or something. One problem I'm imagining is that using patches in SVP is more static in that romplers have more of a permanently numbered patch organization, and with a sampler you can load the presets into any preset memory you want. I guess I'm gonna have to work out a system and devote patch numbers to be that type of kit only. Any advice here?

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Copying/reassigning workflow
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
just stating the obvious: you need a note mapping (midi module) that replaces an incoming GM note with the one that fits the target kit.
As Pop and Metal are organized differently you need one translation set per genre.
I don't know if that function exists in SVP, but it's a fairly regular midi process.
That way you always play the GM notes, but the instruments receive the translated values.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 01:12:02 PM »
You just made me think about doing something like that in my OMS setup. Hmm... for now though, I've made a new patch file for SVP where I'm designating certain # patches on my sampler for different styles. I'll just load the presets into those numbers, select that patch in SVP and I'm rocking. Maybe I'll fool around with OMS in a bit and see what I can come up with.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 03:02:43 PM »
Hoo boy…we havin' some fun now, right?
This is the exact reason they came up with GM to begin with – to try to provide at least a basic standard to resort to so you could get usable output from a different MIDI device without having to reprogram which drums / patches were in which places.
just stating the obvious: you need a note mapping (midi module) that replaces an incoming GM note with the one that fits the target kit.

That's absolutely correct. The trouble is… you said;
The midi files are programmed in the GM note format (they were all made with the default Quicktime OMS thing) but now I want to send all of these to different modules.
If you want to resurrect 20-30 old files to use with multiple new samplers / modules, you're just going to have to do the work.
If all of the files are GM, you can just use one "new" module / device / sampler mapped to respond to GM placements. Drummers pretty much use one drumkit, right? If you have / need very different kits for very different genres, you'll just have to set them up. This ain't nothing new. You're only asking because you have a "big batch" problem. Lots of songs / files and you're looking for a shortcut. You know that generally, the more shortcuts you take, the more mediocre the results you get.

Just dig in. It will take less time than you think once you get a flow going. Since as you say, the files notes already conform to GM, don't move them. They're all now in similar locations - the last thing you want to do is mix up more stuff. Create maps for the devices you want to use now and make them respond properly to what's there.