Author Topic: Korg SQ-1, MS-20 Mini support?  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
Korg SQ-1, MS-20 Mini support?
« on: April 28, 2019, 03:59:40 PM »
Hey folks,

Unfortunately before I started digging into this site I bought a lot of modern equipment for my Mac Pro, but would love to make the switch to OS 9 for music production. This is probably a silly question (due to the recent age of my equipment), but are there any drivers or interfaces out there that support modern USB MIDI devices? I have a Korg SQ-1 and an MS-20 Mini but they understandably aren't recognisable by OS9 at all.. I expect the answer to be a No, I'm new to this side of things with OS9 and am curious before I go spending more money :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:19:27 PM by Greystash »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Re: Korg SQ-1, MS-20 Mini support?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:47:51 PM »
Hey folks,

Unfortunately before I started digging into this site I bought a lot of modern equipment for my Mac Pro, but would love to make the switch to OS 9 for music production. This is probably a silly question (due to the recent age of my equipment), but are there any drivers or interfaces out there that support modern USB MIDI devices? I have a Korg SQ-1 and an MS-20 Mini but they understandably aren't recognisable by OS9 at all.. I expect the answer to be a No, I'm new to this side of things with OS9 and am curious before I go spending more money :)

I haven't yet find any 'Class Compliant' USB-midi drivers for OS 9, but there can be with some in one port USB device. There is 'Class Compliant' USB-audio drivers found.

But there is hardware solution: Kenton USB-Host (https://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml) it is USB MIDI to MIDI converter, but it _only_ works with 'Class Compliant' USB-MIDI devices. If those Korg are officially 'Class Compliant' then they works with that, if they don't tell anything about that they might work or not, then you have to test and come tell test results here. If they say that it is not 'Class Compliant' then there is not change to get it work with OS 9, except it is USB 1.1 and Korg give me USB-protocol information.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
as for direct USB midi connection no, but, there are plenty of interfaces like the MOTU MTP AV which you can find cheaply enough that are still supported in modern OSes. Then you would just make a midi connection to those devices and you can control them from OS9.
alternatively, you could use a device like the iConnectMIDI4+, which has a USB host port for class-compliant devices. you can set up a patch internally that would route from the MS20's MIDI out to one of the midi ports on your other devices.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »
Great thanks for that teroyk and refinery, that's very good news! Both the MS-20 and SQ-1 appear to be class compliant so I'll look into your suggestions and will most likely get an interface. Looking forward to it :D

Thanks heaps!