Author Topic: SCSI Quick Mount?  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
SCSI Quick Mount?
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:18 AM »
When connecting a SCSI drive, like an external HD and such, I have to reboot in order for my Mac to recognize it. I remember there being a tool for Pro Tools users using external hard drives to rescan and mount their drives when they power them on. Anyone know of any tools that will let me do this? Would save me from having to reboot every time I want to power a SCSI drive.

Offline paule

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: SCSI Quick Mount?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »
Hi Syntho,
I remember SCSIprobe. Maybe you thought about this little tool.

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/2125-scsiprobe

Best, paule.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:24:10 AM »
SCSI is a too delicate for reliable results, but I use Mt. Everything for this sort of thing.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 05:26:50 AM »
Now I'm wondering why this feature wasn't built into the OS. Is there some sort of danger or reliability issue when mounting a SCSI drive after the fact?

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 07:03:59 AM »
68K Macs DID have this feature built in. Any SCSI device (hard drive, scanner, tape drive....) would be recognized when it was turned on, even if the computer was already booted.

This capability was removed in PPC computers, possibly because "term power" was made available from the computer power supply, as well as the SCSI device power supply, and in rare cases this could cause a problem.

Just another example of things going backward.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 07:00:27 PM »
Both SCSIProbe and Mt. Everything won't work. The Jaz disks I have are in a PC/DOS format and SCSIProbe doesn't want to mount it. Thats's probably the same reason Mt. Everything doesnt want to do it either. If I have the drive on as I boot, the Mac recognizes it when I pop in a Jaz disk later. Looks like I'll just have to do that for now.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 02:47:38 AM »
ah. PC/DOS disks. key details you omitted from your original post.
File Exchange control panel is the place you want to look. There is a "Mount Now" button at the bottom of the control panel which will mount them on-demand. Next to it is a "Mount at startup" option which is likely checked on. This is likely why they come up during startup, but not when you insert them after the machine is running.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:05:57 AM by refinery »
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 02:21:46 AM »
For some reason it's still not working. I also tried a combo of mounting the SCSO drive with SCSIProbe, then trying to mount it using the method you mentioned, but it doesn't seem to work. Oh well, no biggie, will just have to turn my drives on and restart when I need to, which isn't too often anyway.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 06:32:55 PM »
Try FWB Hard Disk Toolkit (3.0.x-4.5.x) or ATTO Express Protools (2.3.x-2.8.x). I've been using both with my Storcase how-swap SCSI drives for ages (OS 7.6.1-9.2.2).
But bear in mind that to hot-swap SCSI drives on a Mac, one needs proper caddy frames with isolator boards installed. Everything less than that is asking for trouble - i.e. damage, corrupt volumes and so on.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.