Author Topic: Clamshell running OS 9.2.2 can attach to router but browser doesn't work  (Read 6443 times)

Offline garyed055

• Valued Member
Hi all

Bought a apple base station router so my Clamshell can use my Internet and after setup it can logon to the router but I get nothing but site not found errors in the browser.

What am I doing wrong?

Gary

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Probably trying to use Internet Explorer (?) and failing to connect to anything because it won't resolve IVP6.

If you don't have it, download Classilla 9.3.3 HERE:   http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

If this is NOT your problem, you'll have to provide more detailed info.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
I'm not very knowledgeable on networking but I can only connect OS9 through powerline adapters (Ethernet over power). They seem to be the buffer between old and new technology, and downgrade the modern router's connection method (maybe IPV6 > IPV4?). Once I connect through the powerline adapters I have no issues at all and can use any OS9 browser.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
I see now we're talking about apples vs. oranges here. This is NOT an IVP4 / IVP6 issue.
You said you could "log on" to the router…BUT
What you couldn't "get right" is the encryption between the router and the computer.

OS9 does NOT understand modern Wi-Fi encryption standards. The world currently uses WPA and/or WPA2 wireless encryption.
OS9 only understands WEP - a previous, less secure protocol.

You didn't say which model Apple base station you got - unless it's fairly new, you should be able to set it to WEP Wi-Fi which will work with OS9.
The less secure nature of that may be a concern…especially if you're in a dense metro area where a zillion folks can pick up your signal.
Realistically, this is not all that big of a deal since you're NOT going to be doing any banking or Medical or other vital stuff in OS9 anyway.
BUT, if you have any other devices on that Base Station, they will have to downgrade security as well and you may not want to go there.

Your powerline solution, as you've discovered, works also. There are also Ethernet-to-Wi-Fi bridge adapters that plug into the Ethernet jack and allow you to regain wireless connectivity while maintaining modern security.

So to recap, basically, it's the jump from computer to router that's the main issue.
You probably will run into a few website issues as you use OS9 where you can't speak their security language. You deal with those when and if.

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Excellent summary  8)

Offline garyed055

• Valued Member
I see now we're talking about apples vs. oranges here. This is NOT an IVP4 / IVP6 issue.
You said you could "log on" to the router…BUT
What you couldn't "get right" is the encryption between the router and the computer.

OS9 does NOT understand modern Wi-Fi encryption standards. The world currently uses WPA and/or WPA2 wireless encryption.
OS9 only understands WEP - a previous, less secure protocol.

You didn't say which model Apple base station you got - unless it's fairly new, you should be able to set it to WEP Wi-Fi which will work with OS9.
The less secure nature of that may be a concern…especially if you're in a dense metro area where a zillion folks can pick up your signal.
Realistically, this is not all that big of a deal since you're NOT going to be doing any banking or Medical or other vital stuff in OS9 anyway.
BUT, if you have any other devices on that Base Station, they will have to downgrade security as well and you may not want to go there.

Your powerline solution, as you've discovered, works also. There are also Ethernet-to-Wi-Fi bridge adapters that plug into the Ethernet jack and allow you to regain wireless connectivity while maintaining modern security.

So to recap, basically, it's the jump from computer to router that's the main issue.
You probably will run into a few website issues as you use OS9 where you can't speak their security language. You deal with those when and if.

Hi

I'm using what I believe is the second Apple airport base station released, the Snow or dual port model. I specifically went with this one since I knew it used WEP. My clamshell couldn't even logon to it till i switched it to 40 instead of 128 encryption. Now it connects the password is accepted and the airport software indicates strong signal strength and that its connected. I installed the latest version of Classilla but it gives nothing but unable to resolve or can't find site errors.

Gary

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Have you proven your internet access? Is it just websites you're having a problem with?

Is this a DNS issue I wonder. i.e. can you connect to websites via their IP address?

Does everything work with a wired ethernet connection?

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
In the TCP/IP Control Panel, do you have

"Connect via" set to AirPort
"Configure Using" set to DHCP Server?

I vaguely remember running into this same problem with wireless on my G3 iMac.  The network and password were configured in the AirPort panel, but I couldn't get a connection until I made these settings in the TCP/IP control panel.  I'm assuming you want to use DHCP and not a static IP.

Marty

Offline garyed055

• Valued Member
Have you proven your internet access? Is it just websites you're having a problem with?

Is this a DNS issue I wonder. i.e. can you connect to websites via their IP address?

Does everything work with a wired ethernet connection?

Hi

Yes everything works fine when directly connected

Gary

Offline garyed055

• Valued Member
In the TCP/IP Control Panel, do you have

"Connect via" set to AirPort
"Configure Using" set to DHCP Server?

I vaguely remember running into this same problem with wireless on my G3 iMac.  The network and password were configured in the AirPort panel, but I couldn't get a connection until I made these settings in the TCP/IP control panel.  I'm assuming you want to use DHCP and not a static IP.

Marty

Hi

Yes TCP-IP is set to those. I also updated the Airport software to version 2.04 No Change

Gary
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:46:08 AM by garyed055 »

Offline garyed055

• Valued Member
On a curious not why does this Router have a modem port?

Gary

Offline garyed055

• Valued Member
UPDATE

After sitting a couple of days I hooked the second router back up and for some reason the Clamshell has no problems connecting to any website. I don't know whats different now but at least everything works

Thanks anyway guys

Gary

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
i am assuming you already have a "primary" wifi router that you are using for all the other devices in your home, and you are setting this up exclusively to do wifi on your clamshell?
if so, then the trick lies in your network configuration. you can't just set it up to use DHCP and call it good. you basically have to set it up to act as a DHCP pass-through so its grabbing an IP from your primary router. I dont have a link handy, but I will try to find one.
basically what you need to do is manually configure the AEBS with settings relevant for your network. the AEBS itself will handle the WIFI connection, but you basically need to turn off its routing functions and let it act as a pass-through device.

also, as to why the modem port is there, back in the day an alternative function of the AEBS was to allow modem-sharing with your home network.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline garyed055

• Valued Member
i am assuming you already have a "primary" wifi router that you are using for all the other devices in your home, and you are setting this up exclusively to do wifi on your clamshell?
if so, then the trick lies in your network configuration. you can't just set it up to use DHCP and call it good. you basically have to set it up to act as a DHCP pass-through so its grabbing an IP from your primary router. I dont have a link handy, but I will try to find one.
basically what you need to do is manually configure the AEBS with settings relevant for your network. the AEBS itself will handle the WIFI connection, but you basically need to turn off its routing functions and let it act as a pass-through device.

also, as to why the modem port is there, back in the day an alternative function of the AEBS was to allow modem-sharing with your home network.

Thanks my friend did as you said and all is working fine. only bad part is I have to use a old G4 Ibook to access the router LOL!!

Gary

Offline garyed055

• Valued Member

I'm making this reply with my clamshell. it took a bit to find the settings to turn off the router part of the AEBS. but its all working now. Thanks all you that replied. YOU ROCK!!!

Gary