Author Topic: Mini 1.42 to 1.57 on life support...  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
Mini 1.42 to 1.57 on life support...
« on: April 20, 2019, 05:40:21 PM »
After 6 months of not one lock up or graphic glitching, I think my two button MS mouse killed it, not the OC of the Mini ;)

Friday, my two button mouse locked up in the top left corner when booting into V.8-OS9. Has done so several times in the past.  I reboot and may never see the problem again until several reboots later.

So, mouse locked up, reboot. Nothing but a fast fan, no lights, beeps, mouse or keyboard power.  Many internet searches claim this is a PMU problem with Apple replacing many G4 Mini and Powerbook G4 motherboards. Don't have a clue but unable to find concise PMU, (G4?) reset instructions.

Anyway,  Mouse not talking so will waterboard mouse  later in the week.  Any thoughts or appropriate links appreciated.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Mini 1.42 to 1.57 on life support...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 07:54:37 PM »
Follow this protocol
HERE:   https://www.flickr.com/photos/mac_users_guide/3541162214

AND HERE:   http://www.macusersguide.com/2009/05/resetting-pram-nvram-pmu/

Obvious question: Do you have the "USB Overdrive" Control Panel installed / enabled for your mouse? If not, you should.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 02:48:04 AM »
before you reset the PMU button (which means to open the case) you probably want to try resetting the PRAM first^^ it should fix the issue.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Mini PMU Reset
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 06:53:46 AM »
Perhaps before performing the actual last rites, burial, cremation, Viking funeral, etcetera…
two more things? •Unable to find a PMU / CUDA reset button (there isn’t one in a G4 mini)
but did find the following "Hail Mary":

Might try the PMU ritual noted above first, before replacing the internal battery (CR2032)?
Then, if no successful resurrection on Easter Sunday…
prepare ritual meal and contact local sin-eater. ::)

*Reloaded image below as attachment, as it was not showing up via iPad view.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:02:52 AM by DieHard »
This Must Be The Place

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 12:21:59 PM »
Thanks all for the info.

I found a "whatever" button to the right of the DVI connector on the motherboard and checked the 3v battery.  I used a usb power dongle to check for usb power, nada. The fan works fine, and the power supply is 18.5 vdc. Found that out by reading on underside of motherboard.  Why did apple use such a goofy power jack compared to the millions of round laptop jacks? Must have been the forerunner of the lightning connector for the iphone.  They are strong, found mine bent at 10 degrees when received from the bay.

So my best guess is the PMU is fried..nothing found burned after a long look. Funeral at 10.

BTW, Happy Easter!

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Apology / CORRECTION
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 07:29:03 AM »
My apologies (especially to GaryN). I stand very appropriately corrected, with thanks to Ninester for providing the Apple .pdf.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4938.msg35644/topicseen.html?PHPSESSID=b4blua9qt5sni6e1rdu35ccof5

Per the Mac mini “Service Source” .pdf there IS a PMU Reset on the Mac mini. (Doesn’t look like any others I’ve ever seen.)
Still, sadly… mea culpa and Ninester’s mini is most defintely deceased. :'(

This Must Be The Place

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 08:02:55 PM »
Received a $24, very dusty, 1.4Ghz Mini motherboard today.  Cleaned, new TIM for the CPU and a new thermal pad for the ATI.  All running fine and very cool under stress. OC in the future...

macStuff

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 11:59:33 PM »
i gotta find a mini  :o

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 10:25:34 AM »
I was asked about the sil pads I used for bottom ATI chip.  Cut to size.  Will work with my older rebuilds as well if not using Arctic Silver, depending on application.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTXSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1