Author Topic: Monitor stays black after booting  (Read 9317 times)

Offline davidivjak

• Valued Member
Re: Monitor stays black after booting
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »
Thank you Gary for all the effort and patience with me  ;D

I see your argument, it would be the easiest solution to just use that 24" for the G4. But believe me, I have my reasons to ditch that additional monitor, as I have like 15 qm for my whole life.  :P

And why I am not satisfied yet is because it ACTUALLY WORKS. When booting the G4 with the Eizo S2431W connected, and then connecting it to the EV2736 without rebooting, there is an image (now also center-scanned in 1920x1200 as I found out how to do it in the monitor settings), it looks perfectly fine, just as I want it to be.
Unfortunately it's just the f**** booting problem.

Isn't there any way to tell the graphics card not to care if there's "no monitor" connected and just boot up properly?

here's an idea... what about booting it with the 24", installing VNC software, then booting it with the 27" connected, connect remotely via VNC from another machine, and change the resolution to something that will display on the 27"?

I get your idea here! Unfortunately the issue is, as mentioned before, the G4 won't even boot up into a working condition with the 27" connected.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 03:57:31 PM »
Like I said…you're a confusing kinda guy. I recall your very first post you wrote:
"Then I just connected it with the 27" again while it was still running. Suddenly I had an image on the 27" as well, but it was distorted."

NOW it's:
And why I am not satisfied yet is because it ACTUALLY WORKS. When booting the G4 with the Eizo S2431W connected, and then connecting it to the EV2736 without rebooting, there is an image (now also center-scanned in 1920x1200 as I found out how to do it in the monitor settings), it looks perfectly fine, just as I want it to be.
So, here's where you're at: The 27" CAN display as much pic as the card can send, but can't or won't negotiate with the card automatically.
This leaves you with two options: Different monitor OR different card.
Different monitor …not what you want.
Different card… shooting in the dark because we don't know exactly what it is that the monitor sees as missing or incorrect.

I think (and when I do I often get it wrong but…) the monitor is wanting the DDR2 EDID protocol. I get this idea from the Eizo lit, where they endorse only using DisplayPort, MiniDisplayPort or Thunderbolt to drive it.

Try this: Under "Monitor Settings" in the Settings menu, find DCC/CI and turn it OFF. That may (or not) bypass the problem and allow the thing to just "read" the incoming signal and adapt. There's also something that "locks" the monitor config. Maybe THAT will help. Otherwise……

You'll have to harass Eizo tech support for awhile. Tell them you're trying to drive the damn thing with an "everyday" single-link 1920x1200 DVI signal, it won't communicate and is there any way to maybe store a preset or such that will bypass the need for the initial DCC/EDID…OR ????????

That's about it. I'm tapped out of ideas at this point.

Fingers crossed……

Offline davidivjak

• Valued Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »
Hey folks!
Here's a small update... I contacted EIZO support and they adviced me to update my system from OS 9.2 to 9.2.1 and then 9.2.2.
The update to 9.2.1 went well, but after installing 9.2.2 the system won‘t boot up at all anymore, just leaves me with this weird image:

What can I do now? Am I screwed?  :'(

macStuff

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 04:56:59 AM »
the user swapped out a cinema display for another monitor that is incapable of producing the specified resolution at the set Refresh rate (hz) the display is the problem not the card;

he needs to reset his resoltion + refresh rate to a supported setting;

have you tried zapping the pram settings
?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:15:07 AM by macStuff »

Offline davidivjak

• Valued Member
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 06:37:19 AM »
Yes, I tried that already.
I installed the original graphics card (GeForce 2) again and connected it via VGA to the monitor. At least it is booting again now.
I also made a comparison:

On the left side you see OS 9.2.2 with the original GeForce 2. It is listed under PCI-Slot 1 (AGP).
On the right side you see OS 9.2 with the A74 (which I found out is a GeForce 4 MX). It is listed under "Internal video" and the System Profiler would not give further detailed specs about the card. Shouldn't this card also be listed in the same way as the original card?

macStuff

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 08:18:50 AM »
you also need to have 64mb or more to support the video mode you are trying to achieve if my memory serves correctly.
the screenshot you posted says your GF4MX has only 32mb there was alot of variations of the geforce 4MX
some with VGA/ADC some with DVI/ADC
some with 32mb + some with 64mb

honestly just use the geforce2 with the VGA cable if it works it works
DVI output is definately a sharper clearer image however
if you need it then buy a Geforce4 card with more than 32mb ram or a Radeon 8500

is there a possibility someone flashed the geforce4 card to work on a pc?
its strange that it doesnt show up under AGP slot
if you have a pc with AGP Slot it might be worthwile to reflash it with its original BIOS for mac to make sure
but that may be above what you are able to accomplish here
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:29:57 AM by macStuff »

Offline davidivjak

• Valued Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »
Thanks mate!
Using VGA is not an option unfortunately as I need a proper image quality for scanning my film in PS7.
I found a Powermac G4 MDD with the Radeon 9000 installed, I think I will just go for that one and install the SCSI card from my Quicksilver instead of experimenting with other graphics cards and shooting into the blue.
Hope it will work with my Flexscan EV2736 then...  ::)
Will keep you updated!

Offline davidivjak

• Valued Member
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »
Hey guys,
just wanted to let you know the problem is solved.
Here's my mistake: The original graphics card in the G4 was a Nvidia GeForce 2 with 64MB, which I replaced with the next best card with a DVI output, in this case unfortunately a GeForce 4 MX with 32MB. So it didn't get detected as GPU and couldn't deliver a proper signal for my EV2736. Everything works good with a Radeon 9000 now. :-)
Thanks a lot for your support and patience with me. Highly appreciated!
Cheers!

macStuff

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »
as ive told the original poster many times;
will just reiterate for the benefit of anyone reading with similar issue;
 using any resolutions above 1680 x 1050 REQUIRES at least 64MB Video RAM
there are geforce 4 cars that have 64mb ram; but some have only 32MB ram
as video output resolution increased with time; so did Video RAM requirements;
these machnes + video cards date back to a time when these resolutions were unheard of even one or two mac models prior; video cards went from 16mb to 32mb to 64mb  requirements very quickly in the early 2000s time period
you need 64mb of ram minimum for high resolution output above 1680x1050 (or is it starting with 1680x1050?)
usually DVI requires a bit more ram than VGA

darth; maybe u can shed some light