Author Topic: Obscure Video/Audio digital device. Anyone know if this thing is cool?  (Read 242 times)

Offline part12studios

• Silver Member
  • new to the forums
So I got this device, but I can't find anything online about it.  Here are some pictures.

I think the thing is called "media 100" but i'm not sure.  It is this weird power strip looking video in / out that goes to a large dedicated video card inside that's also pretty beefy looking.

the external device
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t61ohy8wy7ipdvo/IMG_1191.JPG?dl=0

what the card looks like from the back of the G4
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcqw6hjqa2325uw/IMG_1197.JPG?dl=0

inside what the monster card looks like
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6r4ydbvs6st8xu/IMG_1220.JPG?dl=0

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Best guess, it's an A/V interface designed to work with the M100 editing system. That's an A/V editor like Final Cut, Adobe Premier etc.
It was/is (like all things pro video) a very expensive bit of hardware in a very vertical market.
Some info below…

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21058/media-100-suite

https://www.provideocoalition.com/media-100-suite-video-editor-macos-free/

https://www.provideocoalition.com/editblogs-2017-nle-buyers-guide/

Offline part12studios

• Silver Member
  • new to the forums
I see, I'd not heard of M100 before, but I did see some modern software that was video related.  I just thought it's interesting that it has this massive card inside.. like it's not just a simple interface item like a midi in/out or something..   it has some (i can only assume) decent stuff (for the time) on that card inside. 

Or maybe the card inside.

I'll contact M100 support and see if maybe they have the inside scoop on this.  It made me think of the old Amiga days with the video Toaster.  However this interface is only one A/V source in and one A/V source out.  Thanks! 

Caleb

Offline Knezzen

• Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Not really that obscure. Was just as big as Pro Tools TDM was on the audio side (but for video editing of course) back in the 90's and early 00's before Final Cut made the entrance.

I used Media 100 quite a bit back in the early 00's to edit programs for a local TV station.
Rock solid system, never missed a beat. Would love to have one around to mess with :)

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
You can grab media 100 free of charge these days including Boris red. That breakout box is a p6000 junction and the card is a media 100 i. Software wise the last sources was a server in Germany but they purged recently the storage. Should be good to version 8 but it's serial is hardware bound. You can indeed contact the guy from media 100 and he can relay your request but you need the software installed and give him the number to generate a serial. The top of the line was a XR system with real time option (another card).

Offline part12studios

• Silver Member
  • new to the forums
well i'm more curious about the hardware specs..  that's the thing that seems obscure not the software so much.  I mean it's old but Media is still around and I guess they have modern versions of the software so it's great to see they are still around. 

I am definitely going to try it out though!  I have the M100 CDs with a s/n so technically i'm legit.. lol.. but yea if doesn't work I'll find a free version out there.  I'm really curious if the video interface works. 

I just wonder if the card has any interesting realtime capabilities or maybe video capturing was just that cumbersome back then..   I remember the video toaster had a lot of real time mixing capabilities and that card would approximately the same size and a few years older..  so eh.. just curious..

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
The free version today is Intel, you would have to get the higher ppc versions from somewhere and the serials won't work except for the version you got at hand. The real time functionality was a extra card bridged via cable to the one you got. It's a SD capture board with pretty good quality at the time. You also lacking the lossless option. Titler and fx software was Boris graffiti and Boris FX or red back in the day. My system has 2 cards and 2 breakout boxes with SDI connection. That was the XR version. I got it from a dealer who used it for demonstration. With the card you got you will be limited to SD resolution but still good capture quality as long as your drives can keep up. The video toaster is not really a capture card, more a mixer as you need 2 sources and a target tape to record to. The media 100 is a real capture card to actually capture footage to a drive. I know video toaster had that to at some point but just for short clips. M100 can capture a entire tape if you want to. And the data rate is much higher than video toaster. Like mentioned if you had the extra board you could go as high as lossless. Right now you can capture various formats like vhs and component and the quality by today's standards should be known. I mean if you watch a DVD that's the results you can expect. There is a wiki page with movie's that have been cut on m100 systems like gladiator for example.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:44:49 PM by devils_advisor »

Offline part12studios

• Silver Member
  • new to the forums
ok that's great to know.  I did notice it was missing some of those items, which is a shame, but fun still.  I'm curious about making videos with "old school" tech.  As long as it can do a good frame rate, SD resolution is fine.  I'm going to install the software soon and hopefully see it work.

I'm going to try and move the G4 Sawtooth HD over so I don't have to reinstall things.  I'm going to bring over the same ATI video card to help insure things go smoother.. Although I'm not sure if the Quicksilver board even has an AGP slot. 

Thanks,
Caleb