Author Topic: iMac "original" doesn't want to boot from any CD  (Read 2570 times)

Offline viksn0w

• Valued Member
  • Meh.
    • Viksn0w Developing Lab.
iMac "original" doesn't want to boot from any CD
« on: April 04, 2019, 08:16:10 AM »
Hi guys, I want to restore my old iMac from 1998, I already restored it with the origina CDs etc some months ago when I bought it. When I insert the disk in the iMac and press C while booting, it doesn't do pretty much nothing, but when I'm in the desktop, I can access the CD. Also when I press C while restarting, a blinking question mark appears for 2-3 seconds and after it boots normally. Someone has the same issue?
viksn0w (  ͡o ͜ʖ  ͡o)

Offline viksn0w

• Valued Member
  • Meh.
Re: iMac "Bondi" doesn't want to boot from any CD
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »
I also tried to install the MacOS 9.2.2 from this website, but It seems that it can't read it, in fact the disk drive does a lot of strange noises and in the attempting of reading it, the iMac freezes snd after a couple of minutes it powers off.

The current version on the Mac is MacOS 9.0 and it's the same version on the Software CDs.

PS
The iMac Hard Disk has 3 partitions, can you merge them togheter?
viksn0w (  ͡o ͜ʖ  ͡o)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Bondi Blue Help?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:44:49 AM »
I don’t have an original Bondi Blue running here now but… have you tried updating it to 9.1 using the Apple OS 9.1 Updater… before attempting a 9.2 install? (Some machines required that step before going to 9.2.) Maybe not necessary using the 9.2.2 from here? (I do not know.)

However in this case I’d suspect the actual burn of the 9.2.2 CD not being “quite right” and would question if it was actually burned properly. Again, not having a BB up and running here and not being all that familiar with the OS upgrade path for them… I would attempt the 9.1 Updater first and then maybe attempt another burn of the 9.2.2 disk… to then try that again. Because you were able to restore it with the original CDs (some months ago) I don't suspect it's a CD drive problem.

Of course, after the 9.1 Updater install you could try your current 9.2.2 disk again to see if that might then “work”.

Anybody else here current with the old BB iMac care to jump in here?

If you can get the thing to boot from another successfully burned 9.2.2 install disk, then you could reformat that 3-partitioned drive into a single partition - but you’d better back-up any data/programs that you might want to keep, to move back onto your single partitioned drive - BEFORE reformatting that HD. Best of luck. :)
This Must Be The Place

Offline viksn0w

• Valued Member
  • Meh.
Re: iMac "original" doesn't want to boot from any CD
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:11:55 AM »
I resolved some minutes ago by setting that I wanted to boot from a CD in the Boot Menu in Mac OS 9 that was already installed
viksn0w (  ͡o ͜ʖ  ͡o)