Author Topic: Trimming regions  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Trimming regions
« on: April 03, 2019, 11:00:15 PM »
I've run into some inconsistencies. I was reading a tutorial about doing punches in PT, and it lead me to believe that when I punch in over a region, that when I go back and trim that new punch region, trimming off the excess will reveal the original region underneath. That's not what happens though. It turns into blank space, then I have to drag the original region to butt up against the new punch region so that there is no silence. I'm reading from a book that it's supposed to still have the original waveform underneath.

For example if you punch in over an original whole-file region, PT converts that whole-file region into two auto-created subregions: one for the left side and one for the right side. It's these auto-created regions that PT considers as never having what was pasted over the top of it. I wish there were a way to have the original region underneath it at all times instead of having to do so much trimming.

Is there some way to change this?

And here's another issue: the PT5 manual must be wrong because it says that a new region may be something like GTR_01, and that subsequent takes are named GTR_01-00. I find this to be wrong, and instead it increases sequentially with the first set of digits like GTR_02. I looked in the PT6 manual though, and they seem to have corrected it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:19:34 PM by Syntho »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Trimming regions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 06:52:36 AM »
it lead me to believe that when I punch in over a region, that when I go back and trim that new punch region, trimming off the excess will reveal the original region underneath

If I understand you correctly... It depends on which direction that you 'trim' from. If you trim the 'new' audio it just operates on that and doesn't reveal the 'old' audio beneath it... HOWEVER if you trim from the 'old' audio it will 'pull back' the 'old' over or up to the newly created audio.

Maybe if you think about it like 'layers' where whichever audio you're working with becomes the TOP layer and will 'trim' over anything else.

If that doesn't make any sense I'll fire up my rig and hopefully be able to explain it better! ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:09:23 AM »
it says that a new region may be something like GTR_01, and that subsequent takes are named GTR_01-00.

I THINK what's goin on here is...

If you have a track 'GTR'  and PUNCH IN on that track, you'd create 'GTR_01-01, 'GTR_01-02' ,etc. HOWEVER if you instead create a 'new playlist' to record a 'new take' you would start from 'GTR_02'... overdubbing on this new take would create 'GTR_02-01', 'GTR_02-02, etc.

Or something like that!! Haha! ;D

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:20:44 AM »
I think what's going on here is that when I was reading this guy's tutorial, I don't think he worded it in the best way. I think he meant that I should trim the original region and not the overdub/punch one. That would make more sense.

And as far as the region names, actually, what I think might've happened is that I'm probably using a version of DAE that's updated from what my original PT5 CD installed. Maybe that changed the way it works or something, because when I read the PT6 (yes, 6) manual it explains it the way it's actually working for me. When I look at the PT5 manual it explains the old way, and I know that that was accurate at some point because I've seen screen shots of people's regions lists and it numbers them like the PT5 manual says.