Author Topic: Samplecell or Sound Designer  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Samplecell or Sound Designer
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:04:58 PM »
For the Samplecell users, does Samplecell have the ability to layer samples very well? I'm thinking of using software to get some wicked drum samples going on instead of doing it in a DAW. Maybe Samplecell with a Samplecell card is the way to go. I believe that Sound Designer is only a 2trk audio editing application, but maybe it would be useful too.

For those that have used both, should I try one or the other for my needs?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Samplecell or Sound Designer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:16:11 PM »
simple editor with multichannel -> soundeffects
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
What? Do you mean use any old multichannel editor? Or you mean Sound Designer or Sample Cell has a simple editor?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 07:48:30 PM »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline robouser

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 01:27:49 PM »
I just started playing around with a Nubus Samplecell II card on my old 8100, and the Samplecell Editor seems to let you layer sounds by velocity as well as range. But first you  have to create your stereo/mono samples in another program.

I've used SoundEdit 16 and TurboSynth to create the samples I've pulled into it so far. I always found SoundEdit way easier to use than SoundDesigner.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 04:08:29 PM »
Hmm. I'm thinking of taking a shot at Samplecell. The good news is that I already have the samples done, I just want to mess with them and layer them.

I've heard a lot about Turbosynth. I still don't know what it is.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 07:41:17 PM »
Actually, after playing around with SampleCell, I'm not finding a way to export the samples, or simply trim them (at least, the sample itself). I can trim/loop in SampleCell, but it seems to reference the samples you've already brought into the program without a way to export the edited one. Can a SampleCell user confirm that for me? If so I need to find another piece of software. Sound Designer is looking more and more likely.