Author Topic: Anyone know a good Sysex / SDS program for OS9?  (Read 12526 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Anyone know a good Sysex / SDS program for OS9?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 04:54:46 AM »
well what are you doing here then with that mindset? lol..   you could just as easily be slighted by saying OS9 is dead and obsolete.. heh. 

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
well, mac os 8 kind of replaced my akai s-950 and s-1000, and mac os 9 (almost) replaced my emulator 4. why would anyone use a 16 bit sampler when oyu can have float in mac or windows? :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 09:19:51 PM »
just sonic differences.. filters.. effects..  and sometimes its just nice to have things outside of the computer..   not saying that software samplers are bad..   just a different feel.   i'm a big peavey dpm sp fan.. 

kind of an underdog / unknown early 90's sampler..   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVPm9ii3CQE   a tour of it I made awhile back.   I also have an SP+  which has 64mb support and 32 voice + some effects.  but fortunately patches made on either are cross compatible (other than things like memory / voices)..   

Caleb

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 09:23:59 PM »
a few other videos i made of some custom things i made.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4QuzHZPdM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVQwlvIAh7g

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 01:45:40 AM »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned but try Recycle 1.7 I'm sure
you can try to add a sampler and see if it works - for SDS
transfers.

Heres the download link.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1086.0.html

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:45:51 AM by Jakl »

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
Try this.

That one works thanks. The earlier one claims to be an smi but it does not mount.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »
yes D-Sound worked for me, but i'm facing a noobish problem with old school midi stuff on OS9..

I have a MOTU MTP-AV and a MIDI Express (both USB)..  so yea I have 16 midi ins and 16 midi outs.. 

these old programs don't seem to have a way to interface with my hardware.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get midi info to a particular device on a particular midi in / out with this kind of hardware?

If not, how are people connecting midi gear to their OS9 macs these days? 

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 02:16:34 PM »
I don't use Macs with USB on them  -afro-

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »
gotcha, well i have a MOTU MTP AV that's serial.. but i got it so i could network with my USB one..  which game me the redonkulous total of 24 MIDI IN/OUT.. which at one point i was actually using all of the outs..  but at that point i realized..  jesus i have too much stuff.. and sold off a lot.. heh. 

unfortunately none of my Macs have serial.. I sold my Mac Classic awhile back.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 08:17:43 PM »
this question comes up from time to time and if i am not wrong, the "midimanager" OMS driver should be able to anything which the midimanager extension did before.
if a program does not support midimanager but only somehow "directly" talks to the serial interface, you are probably lost.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 05:15:29 AM »
yea that's what i suspect. but yea i need to explore those programs closer..  i have a peavey sp editor that also is pretty old (early 90's) will run but it also seems to have a simplistic midi menu. 

like i'm not seeing ways to choose a particular midi in / out..   it's just simplistic stuff like midi channel and maybe device ID for sysex..  but maybe there is another way to expose more options. 

I'm looking to see if i can get unisyn to install in DP3.. as i understand it, it can incorporate into DP3 which would be ideal as of course it's MOTU and of that generation..  not to mention I own a bunch of gear that software actually recognizes out of the box..  even (crossing fingers) the Akai S612!

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2019, 11:53:58 PM »
I just tried a sample transfer over midi with DSound Pro. Everything seems to work fine, but with one issue: I transferred a standard, mono, 44.1khz sample to it, but my sampler seems to receive the sample as 44099hz. I'm using an Emu E4 for this. Anyone else get the same issue?

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2019, 03:31:54 AM »
i will be happy to test.  i have the software, but what kind of midi interface are you using with it?  the only ones I have are a MIDI Express (8x8) and a MTP AV (8x8) both USB. 

Today I'm going to see if I can hunt down a cracked version of Unisyn 1.5   It seems the version I downloaded was looking for some kind of hardware dongle or other piracy prevention device. 

Offline registred

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2019, 04:14:44 AM »
I use Alchemy it supports MIDI sample dump and SCSI sample dump. I've only tested it with Ensoniq ASR10 (MIDI and SCSI) on System 7.6.1 and OS 8.6 but it should work with other samplers of that era, especially for SDS.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2019, 04:24:47 AM »
I'll try that..  other than finding software that works with SDS, is figure out out how (if it's even possible) for 3rd party software to talk to my MOTU hardware.  I have a MIDI Express (8x8) and a MOTU MTP AV (8x8) and it doesn't seem like programs I run offer a way to interface with those ports so i have to wonder if anything goes through them.

I might have to get kinda creative with some of my MIDI Solutions hardware mergers / splitters, but what devices are people using if not MOTU hardware to drive their MIDI devices?  Are people using simple 1x1 midi in / out setups?   None of my hardware has serial ports so I'm looking for USB options.

My hope would be that i could just have everything (as it is) wired up through all my MOTU hardware and send / get stuff to them..    I'm looking into using UniSyn with DP3..  but i'm also reading that's not necessarily a straight forward process either.. so i'm learning what i can. 

Offline registred

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2019, 04:59:49 AM »
Did you install OMS ? It's a midi driver for macOS. I only use the serial port but I also got a roland usb um1 that I don't really use. So I'll check how it work for me.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2019, 05:28:07 AM »
i've seen OMS around but no i didn't install it.  I only have freemidi setup for motu stuff.  i'll look into that.   I know there are some references to OMS with freemidi as well.   It might be installed via FreeMIDI.  Let me see what I can find out about it. 

Offline registred

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2019, 06:07:01 AM »
Freemidi should also work. Do simple midi signal (notes) work ? Midi in or out ? Your midi interface should indicate that it receive or send midi (leds on the interface ?) What does your manual says about installation in macOS ?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2019, 07:47:53 AM »
I'm using an Opcode Studio interface. It's plain weird that the sample shows up as being 1hz less than what it actually us. Hmm...

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2020, 01:50:29 PM »
Which device do you have exactly?  just curious about it's capabilities.  How many midi in/outs does it have?  I'm using all MOTU stuff.  my mac doesn't have a serial port on it.