Author Topic: I think I'm done  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
I think I'm done
« on: March 10, 2019, 06:43:27 PM »
I haven't been too active here in the last year or so. That's because my systems are rock solid and I'm having no problems. The only thing I need to do is get a few backup pieces of hardware (some Digidesign cards and interfaces). Other than that, I'm pretty much good.

Does it ever end for you?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: I think I'm done
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:12:50 AM »
Not really. I ended up switching from Mac OS 9.2.2 on the MDD and my big Pro Tools MIX|24 system to a Mac Pro 2.1 running OSX Mavericks and a Pro Tools HD3 system.
Now we're in the process to switch back to the MDD because it sounded soooo much better than the HD3 system does, and we had more plugs. It was a more distinct sound.

After that has been done I'm hoping that the final switch has been made and we can stay like that for a couple of years.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 03:28:52 AM »
Thanks Knezzen for confirming what my humble ears tell me, too.
There's a nice soundprint with the old M56K code that I much appreciate.
Once got an offer for a small Mix 24 system too good to pass (200 bucks for 2 DSP cards and an 882/20 converter with cable) and threw it into a G3 BW/450 from the attic.
Waded through plugins for a couple of months to sort out essential stuff and now I'm as happy as can be.  8)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 11:05:51 PM »
Update. Everything is still rock solid. I don't see myself changing my rig, ever. Now my only fear is having this old gear break down and I won't have enough replacements. Still always on the hunt for more Digidesign cards and interfaces. Need to stock up so I won't run out if something breaks down. I'm in the process of moving to another place so $$$ is tight right now, but as soon as I've got some cash in hand, I've got to find some more Digidesign stuff.

Offline MrVitalic

• Valued Member
  • G5 for President
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
Update. Everything is still rock solid. I don't see myself changing my rig, ever. Now my only fear is having this old gear break down and I won't have enough replacements. Still always on the hunt for more Digidesign cards and interfaces. Need to stock up so I won't run out if something breaks down. I'm in the process of moving to another place so $$$ is tight right now, but as soon as I've got some cash in hand, I've got to find some more Digidesign stuff.

I'm rocking a hd2 system on a G5. I'm curious about the mix24 system. Does it sound more analog ? And for someone that want to start a fresh os9/mix24 system, how hard is it to find plugs ?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:22:52 PM »
I'm curious about the mix24 system. Does it sound more analog ?
Do you realize how profound that question is?  ;D

Offline MrVitalic

• Valued Member
  • G5 for President
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 12:17:49 AM »

Haha yes I know. I’m sorry I’m french Canadian, so I have difficulty making more elaborate sentence. I’v read the mix24 system is 16bit/48k. Compared to a hd system (24/192) whats the advantage for someone that work itb ? Are the AD converter better for someone that track live instrument ? I’m curious :D

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 02:39:17 AM »
that is a matter of taste and depends on what you are doing. for me any kind of 16 bit recording ended in 1995. multitrack recroding with 16 bit it is a pita in practice.

otoh, samplingrates higher than 44 or 48 are only luxury for most (but not all) use cases until today. on a G4 / G5 you might want to use your CPU (or TDM) power for better things than a high samplingrate.

and dont worry about OS9 software, you are here.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »
I was intrigued by the topic title and even more by the topic content  :P

Went through a love/hate moment when the SSD in my Alu 12 was giving me troubles booting and preparing/testing the replacement (working+supporting sleep) was littered with setbacks including the suicide of my Ti HDD ribbon cable (nothing happen anymore in the regular position and some signs of power but no detection  when rotated over the motherboard). When I saw the price of used ribbon cables and no Chinese clones, I was thinking almost ready to give up thinking "I am done with this!".

Now that the Alu has its new SSD, I will maybe try and keep the Ti some extended life through firewire and possibly a motherboard swap but no internal HDD/SSD does not bode well for its future (maybe it will become a organ donor in another Ti's home...).

(Sorry for the rant but spending a week with damages to do what should take a day without damages is always deeply frustrating).

Does anyone know a resuscitation trick for Ti HDD ribbon cables ?  ;D
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline MrVitalic

• Valued Member
  • G5 for President
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 10:41:43 PM »
that is a matter of taste and depends on what you are doing. for me any kind of 16 bit recording ended in 1995. multitrack recroding with 16 bit it is a pita in practice.

otoh, samplingrates higher than 44 or 48 are only luxury for most (but not all) use cases until today. on a G4 / G5 you might want to use your CPU (or TDM) power for better things than a high samplingrate.

and dont worry about OS9 software, you are here.

I was absolutely wrong... The 24mix system... is..... 24bit (insert facepalm) :P

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »

Haha yes I know. I’m sorry I’m french Canadian, so I have difficulty making more elaborate sentence. I’v read the mix24 system is 16bit/48k. Compared to a hd system (24/192) whats the advantage for someone that work itb ? Are the AD converter better for someone that track live instrument ? I’m curious :D

My sympathy to you for being French-Canadian. I'm Polish-American…I share your pain  ;D ;D ;D

My point was that in just a few words, you illuminated the very foundational issue of our new digital "world". You phrased the question in such a way that it said you would prefer the Mix24 if it "sounded more analog". You innocently questioned the entire premise that digital is as good or better than analog.

This is worse than delivering a joke then having to explain the punchline…