Author Topic: Which Apple hardware Test CD do I use for a Yikes! G4 in a B&W?  (Read 6030 times)

Offline mraroid

• Enthusiast Member
    • Auricon Optical Sound Users group
Which Apple hardware Test CD do I use for a Yikes! G4 in a B&W?
« on: February 25, 2019, 09:35:40 AM »
Hello....

I have a Blue & White tower with a Yikes! logic board.  I have a 500Mhz G4 processor in my logic board.

Which Apple Hardware Test CD can I use to test my hardware?

I tried a Powerbook G4 hardware test CD, but it would not run.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

mraroid
Color Classic Mystic, B&W with a Yikes! G4 @ 500Mhz, running 9.2.2 and soon, Tiger.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Which Apple hardware Test CD do I use for a Yikes! G4 in a B&W?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »
Use the "TechTools" Diagnostics not the AHT (apple version)

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1082.0.html

Offline mraroid

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 10:33:57 AM »
DieHard....

Well, rats!  I see that I am unable to reach this file from my newly installed 9.2.2.

Can you recomend a browser to me?  I can access macintoshgarden.  Once I update to a newer browser I can down load the file you posted the link to.

Suggestions?

Thanks again,

mraroid

Color Classic Mystic, B&W with a Yikes! G4 @ 500Mhz, running 9.2.2 and soon, Tiger.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:11:10 PM »
Go HERE: http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

Classilla is the only barely-maintained ≤OS9 browser that still pretty much works. That said, if you tried to download the Techtool app with Internet Explorer (?) it should have worked.
Did you get internet access working generally?

Offline mraroid

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
Yes, I have internet hooked up and it is working. 

It seems that browsers do not work with out Quicktime.  My quicktime 5 is broken.  I have been trying to down load Quicktime 6.0.3 from Macintoshgarden.  But the down load takes over 4 hours, and after it is down loaded the file is corrupted.  So I tried other places.  The only web browser that I can get to load with out Quictime is IE 5.0.  And that just will not cut it here or other places (like macintoshrepository for example).

I looked on ebay for Quicktime , but did not find it.  I have a Color Classic Mystic running 8.1.  I will try that next to see if I can down load quicktime.  I have appletalk set up between the B&W and the Mystic - I can move files from the B&W to the Mystic, but not the other way around.  Need to work on appletalk some more....

Gez!  If you do not have the basics on a CD/DVD or floppy, you are SOL until your system is set up and working. 

All part of the fun I guess!

mraroid

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 04:39:42 PM »
OK So, do your best to use IE to download Classilla and then use that from then on.
The Quicktime on MacGarden is a cdr image that needs yet more software to unpack it. Use the one on Mac Repository that is a .sit
You should have no trouble with that using Stuffit Expander. If Expander didn't work for you before, the file you were trying to expand was probably bad.

If you still have a IE-without-working-Quicktime problem…what's your email size limit? Quicktime 6.0.3 is 10.65Mb stuffed.
Maybe I can email you a copy.

You're almost there. Once you get Classilla working, you should be able to access pretty much everything and anything.

If you like, PM me your email and I'll try to send you Quicktime.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 02:09:58 AM »
if you tried to download the Techtool app with Internet Explorer (?) it should have worked.

How did you manage this? This site is completely incompatible with IE in my experience.
And that files.secureserver.net link doesn't work with any browser I've tried. Classilla can open the page but I see no way to download.

Offline mraroid

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 07:44:27 AM »
Hello Gary....

I finally have Quicktime 6.0.3 installed.  Now my browsers work. Using Classilla, I went to this web site to down load a TeckTools package to test my hardware (B&W, Yikes! logic board G4).  I could click on the down load link.  Then I came to a page were I enter the password.  I could enter the password and then click, but nothing happens after that.  I tried many times.  No error messages, just nothing.

I will try another browser today.

Now that Quicktime is installed, and I have down loaded a few browsers, I feel like my OS 9.2.2 is finally working!!!  What a long battle to get to this point.  I am so happy!  I have wanted to learn OS 9 for a few years.  After playing with 8.1 on my Mystic, I want to see what OS 9 is all about.  I like it.

mraroid

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »
I went to this web site to down load a TeckTools package to test my hardware (B&W, Yikes! logic board G4).  I could click on the down load link.  Then I came to a page were I enter the password.  I could enter the password and then click, but nothing happens after that.  I tried many times.  No error messages, just nothing.
Guess what? You are absolutely correct. The link is good (because I had no problem downloading it with Safari or Firefox in Mojave) BUT evidently the GoDaddy site it's at doesn't like something about Classilla's communication protocol - probably security related.
This is NOT my wheelhouse and it's (probably) a job for MacTron or somebody. I downloaded the file and uploaded to my Mediafire account BUT Classilla hangs when you click the download link there as well.
It's time to ask Cameron very politely if he can find a minute to look into Classilla vs. this week's internet protocols.
Meanwhile, we should probably move the file to a more OS9-friendly server.

Again, I can email it to you (.sit file - it will survive) it's 8.7 Mb
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:39:48 PM by FdB »

Offline mraroid

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 02:16:07 PM »
Use the "TechTools" Diagnostics not the AHT (apple version)

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1082.0.html

Hi...  I tried a few more browsers today from 9.2.2 but still unable to do anything after I entered the password.  So I tried something new.  Using my Windows 10 box, I was able to enter the password and down load the file.  I burned it to a CD and then moved the CD to my B&W.  I moved the file to my OS 9 desktop and un stuffed it.  I put the files from the three folders in the proper place (control panel, preferences, & extensions) and re booted.  Then I clicked on the TechTool Pro icon.  I got an error message that said "Virus database file could not be found in the prefs folder".  I was unsure where to put the TechTool Pro icon.  I put in in my application folder.  When I reboot, Tech Tool Pro will run very quickly on boot - not an in depth scan, just a quick thing.  I know I am doing something stupid, but not sure what it is.  If you have an idea, please drop me a line.  Thank you for all the help.  mraroid

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 03:27:06 PM »
You might try another direct download via Classilla & your B&W of:
Mactron’s Bootable Rescue CD & Disk Repair (Plus Version) w/ optional OS Install
from: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3177.0.html
just to see if that would work for you.

Of course, it too is also hosted on the GoDaddy Workspace
so you may encounter the same download problem.

The CD contains TechTool Pro 3.0.9 & Norton Utilities…
as well as many other helpful tools that you may find very useful “along the way”.
(Not to mention the OS 9.2.2 install option as well.)

Very good to have on hand. And highly recommended once download problems are addressed.

(Pay no attention to the nulled folders in the attached image
it’s displayed on a newer iMac and all are available on an OS 9 machine.)
This Must Be The Place

Offline mraroid

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 06:23:11 AM »
Thank you for the link Fdb.  I will try that.

I believe the packet of files for TechTool Pro I moved to the B&W is not corrupted.  I believe I am not doing something I need to do to install it correctly.  Could you tell by my last post if I am doing it correctly? 

Thank you again for the help.

mraroid

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 02:10:09 PM »
Attempted to install / run TechTool Pro from the above mentioned “Rescue & Install” disc but could not drag, copy etc. that file to the HD. Then attempted to run from the mounted disc and got the “No TechTool Pro prefs folder” available (present, etc.). So I created a file named accordingly and placed that in the prefs folder… still nothing, non-functional. (I always try.) ::)

Then, cold-booted with the “Rescue & Install” disc and successfully ran TechTool Pro, just as we all once did with Norton - booting from that disc to perform checks and repairs.

So, maybe it’s not a TechTool Pro installation file at all… but perhaps a file necessary to place (along with a bootable system folder?)… on a disc to be booted and then ran? And no, I did not download the “standalone” version of TechTool 3.0.9 that you're working with, to test that. I'll post back if and when I can. ;)

Other comments / suggestions / experience welcome here…

Addendum: Hell, I downloaded that standalone file yesterday and just now unstuffed it. Did you read and follow the “Instructions & SN” file and place those “Put These Into Their Folders” files in their respective folders?

And then… the old OS 9 "habitual-ritual" of zapping the PRAM and rebuilding the desktop before even attempting to run TechTool for the first time?

I’ll drag this file downstairs and try it out later. ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:21:33 PM by FdB »
This Must Be The Place

Offline mraroid

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 03:19:31 PM »

Addendum: Hell, I downloaded that standalone file yesterday and just now unstuffed it. Did you read and follow the “Instructions & SN” file and place those “Put These Into Their Folders” files in their respective folders?

Yep.  I did that.

And then… the old OS 9 "habitual-ritual" of zapping the PRAM and rebuilding the desktop before even attempting to run TechTool for the first time?
I’ll drag this file downstairs and try it out later. ;)

No, I did not try that.  Great tip.  I will give it a go tonight and report back.

Thanks!

mraroid

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
TechTool
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 06:00:21 PM »
Successful install here. Unstuffed and dragged all to the HD. Moved those three files to the their appropriate locations and then clicked on the main application icon. Asked for name, company and S/N and then it opened. Quit, shutdown and rebooted. Zapped PRAM and then opened and ran TechTool.

Initial quick scan at boot is just that… a quick scan by the “Protection Extension”. If TechTool does not respond/open completely for you, after clicking the main icon on your HD after boot, then I would suspect that something may not be in the correct place? Or, you might have to begin all over again with the install?

And as before, you cannot run certain tests (Volume Structure & Surface Scan) from the drive that you’re intending to test (much like Norton) in which case, the bootable version (like that on Mactron’s R&I disc) may be more of what you’re looking for. However it was interesting to watch it work on everything else.

There is a nuisance window that opens, asking if your date/time settings are correct and advising you to possibly upgrade to a newer version. (Of course.) ::)

Note: When booting from the MacTron R&I disc previously, this machine did hang at startup. That, due to that same troublesome ATI Graphics Accelerator extension being resident on the disc and attempting to load at startup. A simple command+option+esc key sequence stopped it and then it finished booting.

Best of luck.
This Must Be The Place

Offline mraroid

• Enthusiast Member
Re: TechTool
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 08:06:48 AM »
Successful install here.

I was never able to down load it to my Color Classic or my B&W.  I can only get it if I down load it to my Windows 10 box and burn a CD.  My down load must be corrupt, as my install was just like yours.  I will down load it again and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

mraroid

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 02:10:19 PM »
Guess what? You are absolutely correct. The link is good (because I had no problem downloading it with Safari or Firefox in Mojave) BUT evidently the GoDaddy site it's at doesn't like something about Classilla's communication protocol - probably security related.
This is NOT my wheelhouse and it's (probably) a job for MacTron or somebody. I downloaded the file and uploaded to my Mediafire account BUT Classilla hangs when you click the download link there as well.
It's time to ask Cameron very politely if he can find a minute to look into Classilla vs. this week's internet protocols.
Meanwhile, we should probably move the file to a more OS9-friendly server.

OK... Classilla works (Ver 9.3.3 Anyway) However there are 2 small things I forgot to mention, so we may have to included this info somewhere...

1) In Classilla GLOBALLY ENABLE JAVA Script, super important or the code that asks for the password will not generate a prompt window to enter it

2) DO NOT USE the Down arrow to the right of the file (it is magically broken); instead double click the file and it will download

This may sound like extra hoops to jump thru, but hosting anything (besides an un-protected FTP link) for OS 9 browsers is a nightmare

Offline mraroid

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 07:08:17 AM »
OK.  Good tips.  I will try that and down load.

mraroid