Author Topic: iBook IDE to SD?  (Read 3036 times)

Offline MrPuffin

• Newcomer
iBook IDE to SD?
« on: February 23, 2019, 02:35:26 AM »
Hello everybody
Looking for a little input on a new drive primarily for my iBook G3 800Mhz 640mb Ram(2003 model) pretty much exclusively running OS9

Is the SD Card Method Worth While? or should i spend a little bit more and get an SSD? how does it compare to say a mechanical Drive speed wise?

1. IDE to SD or CF card adapter with a 64GB ($23) ($10 if i use an already owned SD Card)
2. IDE to M.2 SSD (120gb = ~$50)

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: iBook IDE to SD?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 04:32:30 AM »
go with a SSD, CF cards are really (!) slow, no matter what specs are printed to them.
Regarding the SSD: compare speed for various sizes of the same model.
There can be significant differences, usually the bigger ones are faster.
OS9 has no specific SSD handling, so you'll need a larger disk area as kind of soare region in real world use.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:38:19 PM »
agreed, SSD is the way.

all our OS9 machines are hobbled with slower versions of ATA/IDE, so the more important spec for performance is a high IOps count, rather than pure speed.
think of it like a freeway... there's a speed limit (the ATA level), and then there's the number of lanes. higher IOps = more lanes
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:25:13 AM »
I have a cf card in one of my g3's. Doesn't give you a huge boost but still quite fast. I made a video. SSD is more reliable. And easy to replace. Cf cards became more expensive recently.