Author Topic: New program for file recovery  (Read 8063 times)

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
New program for file recovery
« on: February 07, 2019, 04:42:38 AM »
I wrote a small program to save a volume as a file of more than 2 GB. It's based on Apple's QuickDiskImage demo program, which was limited to files of less than 2 GB. In the documentation I show how to recover files from such a file on a different computer, a laptop with Windows XP.

The image in the attached sitx file is a ShrinkWrap image.

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
Re: New program for file recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 09:41:47 AM »
I corrected an out of memory bug.

Offline pmj

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 02:39:07 AM »
Interested in this but don't seem to be able to open the .img file in Shrinkwrap to read the documentation, could you re-upload by any chance?

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 10:53:58 AM »
There's nothing wrong with this archive. I used DropStuff 7.0.3 and ShrinkWrap 3.5.1. I opened it and I used it to save a volume of 4 GB as a file. It works for volumes up to 2 TB. And it's fast.

Offline pmj

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 12:04:08 PM »
Clearly something up with my Mac in that case, as I'm using all the same software versions as you and can't mount the .img file at all, just flashes briefly when trying to mount in Shrinkwrap and throws up error messages in anything else (Toast, Disk Copy etc).

The software does indeed work and is very fast as you say, hence my interest.  Just don't know how I'd restore a .dat file. 

I see you can mount and read in Toast, could a restore option be added to your app?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:52:15 AM by pmj »

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 11:36:41 AM »
As you can see in the picture above a 4 GB volume is saved as a 4.3 GB file because a volume has a header of around 300 MB plus a smail tail. I wouldn’t save those 300 MB to your disk. I don’t know what the effect will be. The last block is a copy of the MBR and if you overwrite this then Finder crashes terribly.

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 08:47:13 AM »
This new archive was made with Disk Copy 6.5b13 and BinHex 5.0. I always expand my archives and test the result before I upload.

Offline pmj

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »
Thanks very much for taking the trouble to do that, opens up with no trouble here.  Much appreciated.

I've realised that your original upload also opens fine here provided I open StuffIt Deluxe 7.03 and then manually open the .sitx archive from there.  If I try and use StuffIt Expander or double-click on the archive, or use option-U hotkey combination it opens the .sitx but doesn't understand the .img file inside.  As I say, there's clearly something amiss with my Mac rather than anything to do with your archives.

Thanks again.

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 10:45:23 AM »
If your StuffIt was copied from the disk image that contains also the OSX version, that could explain it. Copy the OS 9 only version.

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 08:07:26 AM »
I remember that I once copied a CD with StuffIt for OSX and OS 9 but it was damaged.

StuffIt uses Internet Config. If this is not correctly installed, then this may cause that type and/or creator of extracted files are incorrect. I use Internet Config Extension 2.0.7.

Offline pmj

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 02:19:13 AM »
StuffIt uses Internet Config. If this is not correctly installed, then this may cause that type and/or creator of extracted files are incorrect. I use Internet Config Extension 2.0.7.

I have this version in my enabled Extensions folder but noticed earlier that it doesn't show when I go into the Extensions Manager control panel.  Guess that means it needs reinstalling?

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 07:15:25 AM »
Internet Config Extension is a component, not an extension. You may want to replace the Internet Preferences.

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 07:22:57 AM »
The new version saves the files with the type and creator of a Toast image. It uses the name of the volume to propose the name the new file instead of "Saved volume.dat".