Author Topic: overheating G3 and the fan is not spinning  (Read 2789 times)

Offline pierino23

• Valued Member
overheating G3 and the fan is not spinning
« on: February 03, 2019, 01:58:02 AM »
Hi all,

I recently gave a new/better life to my old PowerBook G3 233Mhz (called MainStreet), by adding more RAM (288Mbytes), a CF in place of the HD and the OS9.2.2.
BUT ... now it overheats, the fan never starts spinning and it freezes. I disassembled it again but the fan seems fine, so do the power supply connector.

Is there anything trivial I might have overlooked?

thanks
PF

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
G3 PB Fan No Spin / O-Heat
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 01:23:50 PM »
Unaware if that PowerBook has a temperature monitor/control “sending unit” located internally within the original hard drive circuitry or mounted elsewhere / externally? Perhaps you should look into any “aftermarket” fan monitoring and control application packages available to activate & control that fan?

If removal of the original HD also removed fan sensor/control, then something to monitor temperatures and to control the fan… may be necessary.
This Must Be The Place

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
Re: overheating G3 and the fan is not spinning
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 01:45:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure those fans only ever worked if you had a CPU upgrade, same with the Pismo. It might be worth opening it up and applying some new thermal paste to the CPU, checking for dust etc. Those computers are actually pretty good at temperature management without a fan.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
G3 PB Fan No Spin / O-Heat
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 01:58:07 PM »
My Lombard has always been a hot-runner and (surprise)
I have never checked whether the fan is running... or not.
This Must Be The Place

Offline pierino23

• Valued Member
Re: overheating G3 and the fan is not spinning
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 02:07:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure those fans only ever worked if you had a CPU upgrade, same with the Pismo. It might be worth opening it up and applying some new thermal paste to the CPU, checking for dust etc. Those computers are actually pretty good at temperature management without a fan.

Ok,
thanks I'll do that
tks
PF