Author Topic: Quadra 840AV for sale, united kingdom but can ship global. Completely overhauled  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
quite possibly the best Quadra 840av in the world. Completely stripped, cleaned out.  Re-capped - Wurth alu/polymer long-life.  Grounding improved.  Sony CD works as does Floppy both cleaned, lubricated and re-aligned.  Even the PSU has been cleaned out the fan lubricated.  I have a scsi HDD for it, OS 8.1,  although i use it a scsi/ide bridge and compact flash - this could be included but it would be extra $/£s.  Graphics card is a radius precision

Also i have an Audiomedia Nubus II card i can include, again extra £/$s

Offers

gallery here : https://flic.kr/s/aHsmzrdCo8

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
Sold on ebay for £462 to a buyer in California, so in way it's gone back home.

macStuff

wow congrats on getting paid for your efforts
when are u making another one
lol

do u still have the audiomedia II?

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
he probably just bought it for the SCSI-IDE bridge. those things go for craaaaaaaazy money nowdays.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline cyberish

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
recap... cool. What exactly did you recap in this monster machine? - The power supply?

macStuff

nice + clean

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
hi,
you have to recap the SMD caps on the motherboard.  Eventually, without recapping, your 840av will struggle to power up despite the power supply being fine.

They appear to sell more in the States because the guy who bought seems to be a trader and has listed another for 750 GBP.

I do miss the 840av but it would not do 24 bit mode addressing like my Quadra 700.

The on-board sound is terrific, it is the sound of the speech synthesis used on Radiohead Fitter, Happier...

There are some DSP specific apps and i attach them here.  This was when having a DSP chip on board was all the rage, think of the Next Cube and IBM's M-wave.

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
do u still have the audiomedia II?

hi, still got it.

Presently its residing in my Quadra 700 next to my Sound Accelerator board which only works in 24 bit addressing mode.