Author Topic: No longer able to connect to network  (Read 10392 times)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: No longer able to connect to network
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »

Good luck. I gotta go to the bathroom…

Isn't that where you guys do most of your 'surfing'??? ;D ;D

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
  • Eccentric Electronic Musician
    • Europa's Macintosh Mansion
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 06:12:52 PM »
My G4 is having the same issue. I noticed it when I was trying to transfer something over FTP and it wouldn't connect to my MacBook like it normally does. I checked in the TCP/IP control panel and sure enough, it had a self-assigned IP address. I use an Airport card and it has worked flawlessly up until now, so I don't know what is up with it. If there is any information I can provide about my machine or what is running on it to help with finding a solution, I'd be happy to provide it. Nothing significant has changed in my setup between the time when it did work and now.

On a side note, I have Mac OS 10.4 also installed on here, but the disk is partitioned and I have set it up so that OS X cannot see OS 9. In OS X, networking is operating as it should.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio (733 MHz, 1.5 GB RAM)
Mac Mini G4 (1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM)
iBook G3 Dual USB (500MHz, 640MB RAM)

For those interested in 70s and 80s inspired electronic music, here are my SoundCloud profiles:
https://soundcloud.com/user-385492180
https://soundcloud.com/europa9

Offline laserski

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 08:24:38 PM »
I have found the issue that prevented me from connecting to a network in OS9. The Mac OS9 retail CD (version 9.2.1 with the big yellow 9) seems to be defective. Any computer that I used that CD to install MAC OS9 on would fail to connect to the network. I downloaded a 9.2.2 image from this website and used it instead and everything works great! In fact I also have dramatically faster graphics performance, and a second partition that would never mount in OS9 (it worked fine in OSX) now mounts and works in OS9 as well. AMAZING!

Thanks to all of you for your troubleshooting help and thanks to all those that run the website for providing the 9.2.2 image that I used.

Laserski

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 07:18:35 AM »
I have found the issue that prevented me from connecting to a network in OS9. The Mac OS9 retail CD (version 9.2.1 with the big yellow 9) seems to be defective. Any computer that I used that CD to install MAC OS9 on would fail to connect to the network. I downloaded a 9.2.2 image from this website and used it instead and everything works great! In fact I also have dramatically faster graphics performance, and a second partition that would never mount in OS9 (it worked fine in OSX) now mounts and works in OS9 as well. AMAZING!

Thanks to all of you for your troubleshooting help and thanks to all those that run the website for providing the 9.2.2 image that I used.

Laserski

I don't know if I used that exact CD (I downloaded it from WinWorld), but I do know it was 9.2.1. What website did you download the 9.2.2 image from and would using Conflict Catcher to migrate extensions and such over to the new system folder reintroduce the issue?

For those interested in 70s and 80s inspired electronic music, here are my SoundCloud profiles:

macStuff

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
yes please share the exact link that you downloaded this *BAD* image from... so that others can be saved from the same ill-fate

Offline laserski

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 08:59:20 AM »
To be clear, the image that worked for me came from the MacOS9Lives website. "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install.iso" is the name of the download. I installed it on my test machine and then copied over the files to the work machine. I did this in OSX and then made sure to set permissions on the entire OS9 system folder so that EVERYONE could READ & WRITE (applied to enclosed items as well). I had to do it this way to preserve some critical settings in my current System folder that have to do with the laser engraver this machine is used with. Otherwise it would probably be best to just reinstall a brand new folder and delete the old one. If I do that (I have tried in the past) it wipes out some critical information regarding several programs that are needed for the laser to work.

The partition that would not previously mount started life way back on a different machine that could not address more that 128GB partitions. This dual 1GHz machine can, but the partition still never mounted in OS9 until now.

The 32 bit color performance is now so much better that before as well. Previously I was in the habit of switching to 256 color mode so that scrolling speed in Freehand would be acceptable. Now it scrolls just as good in 32 bit mode as in 8 bit mode.

THANKS!

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 11:33:15 AM »
>I have found the issue that prevented me from connecting to a network in OS9. The Mac OS9 retail CD
> (version 9.2.1 with the big yellow 9) seems to be defective.

Aha!
Your previous posts said you were using 9.2.2.
If you try and use an OS that predates what the hardware requires, strange things will indeed happen!

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »
Downloading the image from this site now. My PMG4 is a Digital Audio, but I figured a reinstall was worth a try and I don't feel like running the 9.2.2 update again. I'll report back when I get it installed.

EDIT: When I went to install it, it appears the networking is working fine now. This is strange, but I'm glad it's working again.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:39:18 PM by RogerWilco »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
Hot damn! I was right on top of it and didn't know it! This is a perfect example of why it's so difficult to troubleshoot from far away.
One little detail left out or incorrect and suddenly you're going down the wrong rabbit hole.

I picked up another Dual 1GHz Quicksilver machine locally to test with. It has the exact same issue (no network connection in OS9) as my main machine, even with a freshly formatted HD and a new install of 9.2.2. So I got out my 500MHz iBook G3 and tested again and it works just fine using ethernet and OS 9.2.2. I made doubly certain I was not on Airport. Amazing.
Try this on for size:
Your G3 works!
Another completely different Quicksilver does not work. Why?
    >>>>> "It has the exact same issue (no network connection in OS9) as my main machine, even with a freshly formatted HD and a new install of 9.2.2."

* Is that fresh install be from the same source as the install(s) you've been using on the original Quicksilver? If so, that OS may contain corrupted files or simply have another necessary extension inactive.

What you need to do now is compare the System Extensions on the working G3 line by line with the ones on a non-working G4.
Somewhere in there is one missing or corrupt or something and that issue is present in the 9.2.2 you're using for "fresh" installs.

I was pretty sure there was something wrong with the "9.2.2" software.
Had the comparison NOT revealed something missing/disabled or laserski NOT realized he was reinstalling 9.1 instead of 9.2, the very next step still would have been a complete replacement of the System.
Yeah, I'm blowing my own horn. I've embarrassed myself enough in the past being wrong…