Author Topic: Help Installing Classic System Folder!  (Read 5109 times)

Offline Ninja_Tortoise

• Newcomer
Help Installing Classic System Folder!
« on: January 02, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
Hi!

I'm trying to run a Classic application on an iBook G4 (which currently has Mac OS X version 10.4.11 installed).  When I start up the program I'm trying to run, I get an error message: "Classic cannot find a Mac OS 9 system folder on the startup disk to use." I don't know much about computers, so I apologize ahead of time if I'm not speaking about any of this very well.  How can I download the correct system folder so that I can use the Classic environment?  I've tried to poke around the internet for answers, but haven't had much luck!

Thanks!

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Help Installing Classic System Folder!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
You need a OS 9 System Folder

Look on our downloads
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Ninja_Tortoise

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 10:04:35 AM »
Yes, that's what I need! Is that in the Download boards?

Where can I find it? There's a lot there and I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for...

Thanks!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 02:54:21 PM »
This one is probably the simplest and should work.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1859.0.html

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:43:43 AM »
the minimum system reuqires is a MacOS 9.1 operating system with the component "carbon lib" updated to 1.6.

the "classic enviroment" is bsically the same files to be present on your disk than what oyu need to boot computer into OS9 - it even may be older or more uincomplete than that

how to install OS9?

- run the installer program from a OS9 CD
 - or just copy a working OS9 folder from somewhere else

first time you sue it, OSX will ask you for permission to change a few settigns automatically, then just allow this.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Ninja_Tortoise

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 04:07:17 AM »
the minimum system reuqires is a MacOS 9.1 operating system with the component "carbon lib" updated to 1.6.

the "classic enviroment" is bsically the same files to be present on your disk than what oyu need to boot computer into OS9 - it even may be older or more uincomplete than that

how to install OS9?

- run the installer program from a OS9 CD
 - or just copy a working OS9 folder from somewhere else

first time you sue it, OSX will ask you for permission to change a few settigns automatically, then just allow this.

Hello!

Thanks for your replies! I don't have access to an OS9 CD, but I do have a second computer that I was using before trying to set up the "new" iBook G4.  It's a desktop, also with Mac OS X 10.4.11.  The program I've been trying to install that runs in the Classic environment was working on the desktop, so I know Classic was .  I see that it does have a system folder for Classic when I go into System Preferences.  Is there a way that I can copy this folder from the desktop to the iBook?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 12:17:48 PM »
Hello!

Thanks for your replies! I don't have access to an OS9 CD, but I do have a second computer that I was using before trying to set up the "new" iBook G4.  It's a desktop, also with Mac OS X 10.4.11.  The program I've been trying to install that runs in the Classic environment was working on the desktop, so I know Classic was .  I see that it does have a system folder for Classic when I go into System Preferences.  Is there a way that I can copy this folder from the desktop to the iBook?
The link I posted is download-able. Download it and just copy the OS9 System Folder to the drive.  OR…
If you want to use the one you have:
Firewire target mode is your friend here. You will need a Firewire cable.
1. Link the two computers with the FW cable
2. Boot the source computer holding down the "T" key until the FW symbol appears onscreen
3. Boot the destination computer. The source unit will show up on the desktop as another drive.
4. Copy the Classic stuff over.

You already knew this stuff…right?

Offline Ninja_Tortoise

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:07:47 AM »
Hi all!

I've got the problem solved! Thanks for all your replies.