Author Topic: Any video card upgrade possible for PCI G3 Blue and White?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline russgrunloh

• Newcomer
Any video card upgrade possible for PCI G3 Blue and White?
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:28:06 AM »
I've recently been trying to put together a dedicated OS 9 system starting with a Blue and White from ebay.
I'd really like to use a relatively modern VGA monitor (a viewsonic).  The onboard ATI Rage 128 supports VGA, which was initially encouraging, until it crashed pretty quickly after startup.  I realize that being locked into the PCI format will put the kibosh on visions of graphics glory, but is there at least some remedy for modest utility with this older machine I seem to be developing a curious attachment to?  Been a Mac guy since '99, and grew to love OS 9.  Just in time to be seduced by Job's insistence that a new way was imperative.  Followed that route well enough....but still.  Don't have to tell you guys any more than that, I'm sure.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: Any video card upgrade possible for PCI G3 Blue and White?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:47:39 AM »
I think a Radeon 7000 PCI is what you want to get but wait until the real gurus on this forum are answering you  -afro-
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:50:30 AM »
For OS 9, options would be.....

ATI/AMD

1. Radeon 9100 PCI
2. Radeon 9000 PCI
3. Radeon 9200 PCI
4. Radeon 7200 PCI
5. Radeon 7000 PCI

nVidia

1. Geforce 4MX PCI
2. Geforce 2 GTX PCI
3. Geforce 2MX PCI

Each card requires it's own level of hacking to make it work, with the Radeon Mac Edition cards being the best for Plug and Play. However if you want to learn to do a little hacking all the cards listed should be workable.

macStuff

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
mine runs great with a Macintosh 9200 LE card
but its a huge pain in the ass unless u install the right version of the drivers

personally id pick a 32mb 7000 /w green PCB & original Radeon logo next time if i had to do it again
or an original Radeon 256 pci
just to avoid the driver headache you run into with the 9200/9250 on a B+W
ie: if the drivers are installed wrong u have to physically remove the card + install the original card
if u got rid of your original card then you are screwed
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:41:05 AM by macStuff »

Offline russgrunloh

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 05:48:19 PM »
Thanks, macStuff
I think I'll go with the smallest headache to begin with and work my way up from there.
Am new to hacking and wouldn't mind fooling around a bit, but at least want to get something on the screen for a while to make sure all the other bits are working together.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
i wasnt aware of this but apparently there was a Mac 9200 LE card? I thought there was only a regular 9200. Ebay auction has one supposedly out of an X-Serve

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Radeon-9200LE-128M-PCI-for-XServe-G4-DVI-I-VGA-S-video/153290968743?hash=item23b0da8ea7:g:XfwAAOSwpudcB4NS:rk:6:pf:0

got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

macStuff

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »
refinery thats the one i was talking about.. like i said its working in my B+W g3 under os8.6 using the 9.22 radeon 9200/9250 drivers but like i said its a pain in the ass if u dont get the driver install right u have to pull the card + revert to a previous card to get it to work again. which is not fun for newbies at all  not fuin for me neither

i think diehard gave me that card

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 04:44:41 AM »
I've never been able to find a Radeon PCI card, at least for a sensible price.

IMO a G4 Mac would be an easier, cheaper and more effective upgrade.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »
There are a few B&W G3 stalwarts still clutching these older machines ‘round here… and lo and behold, mine surprisingly has a Radeon 9200 LE (running under 9.2.2) in situ.

Und normally, an additional PCI video card shoulders the added burden of supporting adjunct palette monitor here. (I’ve a few extra PCI cards, if no luck elsewhere. PM me.)

As for the current eBay listing for the 9200LE mentioned above by refinery… (from Beaconsfield Electronics - up in Canadia) I’ve dealt with West Island Electronics before and he’s a great guy… quality stuff and very easy to do business with. And seems that he has three of these LE’s. (And I may still have direct contact info for him if needed. eBay listing ends in 14 hours.)
This Must Be The Place