Author Topic: Logic 6.43 Corrupt Preferences?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Logic 6.43 Corrupt Preferences?
« on: December 20, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »
Hey guys!

Hope you all are doing great. The last part of my new studio to come on line is a little late 80's-early 90's area. I've actually designed the setup like 2 setups I had over this time period combined. One my my bedroom growing up and one at Berklee school of music. It consists of an IBM 5150 running Voyetra, some of my fav 87-93 synths (JP-8000, Juno 106, JX3P, K2500).

Anyway, my OS9 system (magma, mirror door, 3x 1622's) acts as a tape deck and editing system (or it will when working). We had some crazy stuff go down with the magma (way too much to write about but if you're ever having problems with one of these I'll post my fix.) It was NUTS getting all the cards recognized and verified. Punch line, make sure to keep purging your Pram and NVram. Again way too much for one post. I should write it up though because I know it will help someone on here.

Anyway, Magma is working, Protools and DAE are working GREAT. All 3x 1622's working perfect. Logic crashes on startup every time. A hard crash too...a "Try to save your song" freeze.

Any thoughts? I've tried every thing I can think of including launching w/o PT hardware attached, option load, control load. Nothing is passing. If you guys think I should re-install can someone walk me through it? I've not installed Logic for like 20 years...I've always worked from the same working images.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all and I'll send pictures of this rig when it's all up and working. It's epic.
Best,
_BT

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: Logic 6.43 Corrupt Preferences?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »
Everything else on that system is running well ?
I had recently all kinds of problems when I came back to my Protoolsrig after a lot of time (over 1 year) and started it up.

I thought in RAM but finally it was the PRAM battery. Definitely check that out!

i also couldn't start programs and had just weird problems...

Regarding reinstalling Logic i would still wait, maybe its really just a hardware problem...
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »
I don't use OS9 Logic OR PT…BUT:

Your title says "corrupt preferences?" So, have you tried the obvious step of trashing them and relaunching?
If you have and it still crashes, read on…

You're having a hard crash during Logic startup. In the old Mac OS, usually, not always, but usually that means the app is trying to access or load something incompatible or corrupted. This is as opposed to something simply missing or un-findable where it just hangs and hangs and you sit there scratching your head wondering what the Hell is going on.

My first guess would be an audio engine conflict. I don't know exactly what Logic uses but I'm pretty sure it's not DAE.
Example: I use StudioVision Pro. It uses the Acadia engine. That file has to be in a certain folder. I used to get hard crashes if I had Apple Sound Manager in that folder as well (even though that was supposed to be OK). That may (again, I don't know for sure) be the same or related to the same folder DAE resides in. If Logic is "looking" for Acadia or similar file and it's finding DAE instead……crash.

Again, this is just a wild guess, but it might be good to look in the Logic documentation for anything regarding this area. Notwithstanding the alleged great TDM compatibility etc. of Logic, there may be some critical requirements of where and how to place critical elements of the app to keep it from bumping heads with PT.

If this is fruitless, double-check any/all other little important bits and pieces, if any, that reside in various places for possible conflicts with similar bits and pieces of PT.

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 06:28:33 PM »
Hi all!

I’ve solved it. Thanks for the thoughts and here’s what it was! It was in fact a corrupt preference file just not one I’d imagined. The DAE and OMS prefs we’re both corrupt. I’ve got her breathing! Now on to my new autoload!

All my best,
_BT