Author Topic: Modern OS 9 compatible keyboards?  (Read 6535 times)

Offline adespoton

• Enthusiast Member
  • Crusty Member
Re: Modern OS 9 compatible keyboards?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 08:33:35 PM »
i have combinations here where the windows version of a programming language is using alt where the mac version uses command - and if you connect a mac keyboard to the windows PC you have to press control in order to get alt which is normally command ....aaaargh. and now imagine using a setup like that to create a program which uses modifier keys, too.

It gets even more complicated; I connect to a setup like that to work on programming software that uses modifier keys... and I do it using VNC from a Windows 10 laptop.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Modern OS 9 compatible keyboards?
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 10:31:39 PM »
Now, that's what i get for even trying to be apologetic… more snide bullshit.
(at this point you might want to consider to re-read the orignal question in the midi interface thread from two days ago, where you also failed the point... and no, bandwidth doesnt have to do with timing accuracy & when you use an usb2serial adapter bewteen 2 devices this does not give you usb bandwidth for the connection^^)
Clearly, you are the one who needs to re-read the MIDI thread. I never said or even insinuated "when you use an usb2serial adapter bewteen 2 devices this does not give you usb bandwidth for the connection^^"
I said that the USB protocol is fast enough so that it does not becomes a choke point or similar interfering with MIDI data being carried on it and having it in the mix is NOT detrimental to MIDI data flow and timing.

NOW…………

the volume keys can not be faked - also not in the OSX tcsh shell - simply because they dont talk ASCII nor keycodes.
volume up, down, mute and eject are not part of the "keyboard", they are more the follow up of the good old power button of the old world ADB keyboards.
AND
and i dont know either how it works, (maybe via the generic usb driver?) but it doesnt by faking the keys.

third party "eject" software can use apple events to finder among other things. audio is more mysterious, as usual.

As I said, this ain't my wheelhouse BUT as far as I can tell, ALL communication between the keyboards and the computer takes place over a 4-wire USB line of which:
#1… Power
#2… Data -
#3… Data +
#4… Ground

There is NO extra path or provision for specialized signaling of any kind so ALL must be data encoded by the kbd and decoded by the computer. ALL USB devices are required to be compliant with a very long list of protocol. So…

If you know something here that I don't about some kind of phantom signaling sneaking over the USB bus, NOW is the time to explain it to the class.