Author Topic: OS 9 on mid-2005 iBook G4? (PowerBook6,7)  (Read 7775 times)

Offline JMK19

OS 9 on mid-2005 iBook G4? (PowerBook6,7)
« on: November 18, 2018, 04:53:15 PM »
So I'm new to the forum and I got the Mac OS 9 on unsupported G4s ISO image and burned it to a disc.
I can get so far as to select it in the option key boot menu, but then I just see a grey screen, nothing else.
I also tried the Universal Install CD as well just for fun, of course that didn't work.
Last thing i tried is run the System Restore app from the Unsupported G4s iso in Classic, but when I click Restore it can't close some apps and fails.
(I already tried doing the same action in Disk Utility, and no matter what way I tried it, I couldn't get that image to restore to my 30GB partition.)

Does anyone know how I am supposed to do this? I've heard that on the ThinkClassic website there's a Mac OS ROM for the iBook G4, but I can't find that. Still looking though.

Offline JMK19

Re: OS 9 on mid-2005 iBook G4? (PowerBook6,7)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »
Also, I've seen this post on ThinkClassic and this has to have something to do with it:

From the user ClassicHasClass:
There are a lot of problems with late iBook G4s. It's probably a variant of the known DO-QUIESCE issue, which is not currently well understood.

Offline JMK19

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »
After following the instructions here: https://www.thinkclassic.org/viewtopic.php?pid=4889#p4889
I can boot from the Unsupported G4s CD and see more than just a grey screen. Now it starts to boot with the trackpad issues, then loads this
extension with two arrows going back and forth (? what is this) and then the cursor bombs out and the hard disk and CD spin down. Can't get past here, trying Shift for safe mode now.

Offline JMK19

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 07:11:41 PM »
Even with Extensions disabled I get stuck at this certain point about one-forth of the way in, then bombs out and spins the disc/disk down. Seems there's nothing I can do.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 06:34:15 AM »
Code: [Select]
dev /pci@F2000000/mac-io/i2s/i2s-a

" screamer" encode-string " compatible" property

device-end

" /" select-dev

0 " graphic-options" get-my-property 2drop !

unselect

It's the sound device stopping boot.

Offline JMK19

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 07:42:58 AM »
Thanks  :D About to try this.

Offline JMK19

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 08:06:17 AM »
This might be working! Can't really tell cause I messed it up and had to redo it. By the way, trackpad doesn't work at all under OS 9.
I think this might just be a easy fix cause the same trackpad not working thing happened in 10.4 after a fresh install, then fixed automatically when I updated to 10.4.11.

Offline JMK19

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »
Same thing, bombs out at the same point. Should I reset NVRAM and PRAM or whatever, then retry the commands? Or will that mess everything up?

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 05:38:25 AM »
Works fine for me Mac OS ROM 10.2.1 (Generic) PowerBook6,7( 12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz ).

The tracpad doesn't work and you need the 'NDRV' I made for the Radeon 9550.

If you're still wanting to get this to work, I'll upload both the ROM and the 'NDRV'?

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
Here are the files needed for the iBook G4 with the Radeon 9550.

You'll also need to set an nvram script....

nvedit
device-end
CTRL+C
nvstore
setenv use-nvramrc? true
reset-all

If you want the tracpad to work on the 12" model( 14" untested ), albeit very slow tracking, remove the USB Device Extension as it seems to be what is conflicting with the tracpad, and making it not work.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 03:51:19 PM by darthnVader »

Offline ahihi

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 01:09:58 PM »
hi,

i am trying to boot OS9 on one of these iBooks, but am having some trouble. here is what i did:

1. install Mac OS 9.2.2 for Unsupported G4s onto a partition on the iBook

i used Target Disk Mode and another Mac that can boot the installer. the iBook also has Tiger installed onto a second partition.

2. reset NVRAM

3. boot into Tiger

4. install the files from Powerbook6,7.sit

- Mac OS ROM -> System Folder
- ATI R9550 -> System Folder:Extensions

5. remove System Folder:Extensions:Multiprocessing

6. set up nvramrc

sudo nvram nvramrc='
dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0
80010201 encode-int " cpu-version" property
device-end

device-end

" /" select-dev
0 " graphic-options" get-my-property 2drop !
unselect
'
sudo nvram 'use-nvramrc?=true'

7. try to boot into the OS9 partition via the boot picker

but at this point i only get the floppy icon with question mark inside :( after ~2 minutes of this, the iBook shuts down. any idea why?

information about the process for this machine seems a bit scattered, so maybe i missed something.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 01:49:17 PM by ahihi »

Offline ahihi

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 05:12:02 PM »
progress! my mistake was directly installing OS9 onto a partition created by Tiger's Disk Utility - i needed to initialize the disk using the OS9 installer's Drive Setup. i can now boot into OS9!

the UI did however hang immediately after the desktop came up. i was able to fix this by removing the ATI Video Accelerator extension.

now, my one remaining issue is sound. i understand the built-in sound device is not supported, so i was hoping to use my Griffin iMic USB sound card. usually it is automatically recognized by OS9, but not here. does the situation with the built-in device result in Sound Manager being completely disabled? might there be a way to enable just the iMic?

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2023, 10:29:26 PM »
progress! my mistake was directly installing OS9 onto a partition created by Tiger's Disk Utility - i needed to initialize the disk using the OS9 installer's Drive Setup. i can now boot into OS9!

No issues with using Tiger's Disk Utility for that. However, one thing that DOES cause an issue that I was able to confirm is if you try to use the "Restore" function to restore an image onto a partition, and then that fails. If that fails, the partition "looks" fine, but it might be unusable for booting into OS 9 with it (I forgot whether alt-booting still worked or not, though), even if you rewrite all the files.

Another issue I recently discovered with OS 9 bootability is that i.e. with a scenario of 3 partitions like the following:

Disk 1 -   20GB
Disk 2 - 150GB
Disk 3 -   20GB

If installed, OS 9 won't boot from Disk 3, but will boot fine from Disk 1 and 2. However, if you rearrange them in the following way:

Disk 1 -   20GB
Disk 2 -   20GB
Disk 3 - 150GB

Then OS 9 can boot from any of the 3 Disks just fine. (Again, I would have to double-check if alt-booting works regardless).

In my case, this was observed on my Mac mini G4 "64MB VRAM SuperMini" 1.5GHz model, but I suspect this is applicable to all OS 9 machines, official and unofficial. It took me years to realize this was an issue.

Offline ahihi

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 04:47:35 AM »
No issues with using Tiger's Disk Utility for that.

i believe the reason it caused an issue is that the Tiger Disk Utility does not offer the option of installing OS 9 disk drivers when running on this hardware (at least unmodified).

Another issue I recently discovered with OS 9 bootability is that i.e. with a scenario of 3 partitions like the following: [...]

yeah, i have heard OS9 can be finicky about partition order, so i have been installing it on the first partition each time. good to have some more detail on this :)

still open to ideas regarding the audio issue!

Offline ahihi

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2023, 04:36:50 AM »
someone on Mastodon suggested disabling the onboard headphone output in OF to get Sound Manager running. i didnt try that yet, however i found this Propagamma USB-ASIO driver (free download for OS9 still available at https://www.usb-audio.com/download/) that supports a number of audio interfaces, including my iMic! of course it only works with apps that speak ASIO but thats enough for me :)

Offline viecnha

• Newcomer
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2023, 10:27:37 PM »
Thanks I had the same problem