Author Topic: Quicksilver Thread!  (Read 38778 times)

Offline Borgmac

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Quicksilver Thread!
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2022, 12:21:11 PM »

Back from a couple of weeks on a trip to Texas, here are the outcome of this story.
FBz was right to insist on contacts points and I was probably right to think that the probability of having 2 faulty dual CPU daughter board was quite low.
I am now running that QS 733 with a RevB board and a dual CPU 800.
After cleaning through the contact points, I got a startup chime but nothing more. Then after replacing the thermal paste, no startup chime anymore.
I then realize that if I pressed firmly on the heatsink on the top of the connector I got a full startup and then 100% startup success since.

But only with one the the 2 daughter board. One of them was actually faulty. I send it back to UsedMac and they sent another one, this time fully working with the L3 cache.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 04:25:19 PM by FdB »

Offline lepidotos

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2022, 07:12:19 PM »
Recently-ish (as of a few months ago) picked up a Quicksilver from a recycler's and it's doing pretty well, alright enough that I'm typing on it right now. It didn't come with a hard drive so I used the drive from my AGP Graphics, and it's pretty fast, but whenever I try to boot into Mac OS 9, it works... but then not long later it completely disables all inputs except moving the cursor. No keyboard, no mouse button. I know it happens afterward because I can close out some of the popup boxes telling me Kaleidoscope is being run as a trial. I've already tried disabling USB Overdrive, no dice there.
I still haven't figured out any idea why that's happening.
Anyway, I specifically bought this computer to eventually be as stupidly high spec as is "reasonable", overclocked to oblivion and parts added in as necessary. Will eventually take the plunge on a SeriTek SATA card, and have already bought two 7455s to replace the stock 7450s @ 800 (which I'll eventually try to replace with 7457s that may be in the early iBook G4s according to someone over on MacRumors) that I'll be aiming to run at about 1350 on a 150MHz bus. Already have my Radeon 9800 Pro installed and it's feeling the struggle with this 1080p panel I swapped in for the CRT just due to weight considerations on this plastic folding desk. However, at the same time, I'm used to 85Hz so that may just be the 60Hz locked refresh.
After all that's said and done, I'll probably use it to see how fast and usable MorphOS can be with hardware like that.

Offline Borgmac

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2022, 02:26:43 PM »
Quicksilver Fans replacement

You’ll find hereafter some results of tests made with a QuickSilver 733 upgraded with a RevB board and a dual 800 CPU daughter board. Some test were made also on a QS Server with RevA and dual 800 CPU.

I know that a lot has been said by alphamac in his very interesting posts but he had additional cards creating more heat,  so he was looking for high flow, like 100 CFM for the case fan. In my case, I was looking mainly to reduce the noise and to replace the CPU fans for the dual CPU.

On both of these computers, CPU fans were not working anymore, speed was increasing a little bit, then slowing down and the T was increasing
With the 733 CPU, this was not an issue, reaching 41c after 1 hour.
But with the dual CPU, I reach 40c after 10 minutes

Here are the conclusions of my tests.
Temperatures were measured after 30 and 60 minutes of video conversion, using around 80% of the CPUs.

Best option for single and dual CPU is 2 Noctua Fans.
Very good option for high double CPU usage, a little bit cheaper, is Sanyo, higher flow  but more noisy.

Evercool, much cheaper is VERY noisy.
For the Case fan, the SY1225 is generating more noise than the CP fan. That is why I start looking for something quiet and choose the Noctua.

There was no obvious relation between the CPU Heatsink Temperature and the exhaust Case Fan Temperature
Exhaust 27-28c with CPU 40c to 48c (After 1 hr test)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2022, 05:17:20 PM »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2022, 04:46:48 AM »
Damn I just bought a Sunon, wish I thought to look here first!