Author Topic: OS 9 install problems with powerlogix 1.5ghz dual processor  (Read 206 times)

Offline cvdavidsonjr

OS 9 install problems with powerlogix 1.5ghz dual processor
« on: November 06, 2018, 06:38:14 PM »
OS 9 install problems
I'm new to the forum and my problem is that I have a mac G4 cube in which I upgraded to a dual 1.5ghz processor.  I did update firmware to 4.1.9f in the past. I loaded os 10.4 and recently 10.5

I then decided to go back to os 9. Just purchased a 120GB apple hard drive and installed in my cube but when  I put an install cd in. I end up with little happy mac icon and after a few minutes end up with broken folder icon. My question is  this due to the processor or is it a firmware problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline FdB

• Vault Members
  • Gold Member
  • And then...
Re: OS 9 install problems with powerlogix 1.5ghz dual processor
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 07:29:37 PM »
There’s no OS at all on your new 120GB HD? There have been instances reported that
without any OS already resident in some machines (and some necessary drivers etc.)
that it can be nearly impossible to install a new OS on a new HD.
(This may not be your problem.)

You were able to install and run both 10.4 and 10.5 on the old HD without problem?

Will a Cube boot into FW Target Disk Mode? If so, with another Mac attached…
you might be able to install over FW from this other  Mac. OR, pull the HD and
install it in a second Mac, install the OS there AND then move that new HD
back into the Cube.

And then there’s the possibility that you’re not using the appropriate version
of OS 9 for your Cube.

Perhaps a friendly Mac Cube owner will chime in here eventually
with more specific help / suggestions?
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:08:13 PM »
you should at least add which OS9 rerlease you try to install and what kind of CPU upgrade that is, sonnet or powerlogix?
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"
- DieHard, random forum troll at macos9lives.com

Offline cvdavidsonjr

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 12:02:25 AM »
Powerlogix 7447a I've tried  all os 9's. I used another mac to install os leopard using  firewire 400 but I have no  old macs with earlier os every mac I have has leopard. Last time I have had os 9 was updated for installing firmware update. None of my original 9.0 4 disc work even retail ones seams that since I installed leopard on my G4 cube nothing lower works. The hard drive I have now was completely wiped. I  could format it by firewire  but then I would have no os drivers  since leopard doesn't install them.

Offline cvdavidsonjr

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 12:28:03 AM »
Powerlogix 7447a I've tried  all os 9's. I used another mac to install os leopard using  firewire 400 but I have no  old macs with earlier os every mac I have has leopard. Last time I have had os 9 was updated for installing firmware update. None of my original 9.0 4 disc work even retail ones seams that since I installed leopard on my G4 cube nothing lower works. The hard drive I have now was completely wiped. I  could format it by firewire  but then I would have no os drivers  since leopard doesn't install them.
I'm going to try two installs I've found one of those is for unsupported macs will let everyone know if successful. If not only option is to buy a old imac that has os 9 and firewire and go from there.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »
if you have an 10.4 or 10.5 machine somewhere, you can also boot from there with fw.
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"

Offline FdB

• Vault Members
  • Gold Member
  • And then...
Tiger / OS 9 & Cube
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
if you have a 10.4 or 10.5 machine, you can also boot from there with fw.
Yup. But may have to format that new HD (outside of the Cube first) in order for it to be recognized via FWTDM??? I may have a G4 Cube here in the next day or so (complete with crashed HD) to test all of this on (as it will also require a new HD).
Like I really need another G4. ::)

Now, written earlier for cvdavidsonjr:
If you’ve no “production deadline” or other dire reason to have this Cube up and running immediately with your new HD don’t get in a hurry and buy another Mac if none are readily available to borrow / use. Even Mac OS X (10.4.1 - Tiger) with the two, gray installer disks* does provide the option of installing OS 9 drivers and OS 9… which you could possibly use as a starting point if the solo OS 9 “Unsupported Installer” does not work for you.

NOTE: *Retail Tiger, MA453Z/A came two ways: One as a single black DVD (disc 2Z691-5305A - without OS 9) AND as Tiger 10.4.1 gray 2-disc set (disc numbers: 2Z691-6022-A and 2Z691-6023-A) which did have OS 9 installers included. Both retail versions of Tiger (10.4.1 & 10.4.6) had the Apple Retail ID of MA453Z/A on their box which has confused the hell out of everyone and continues to do so. The black Tiger DVD / 10.4.6 does provide the option of installing OS 9 drivers... it just does not include a version of OS 9 to run solo or in “Classic mode” like the grey 10.4.1 disc set does.
If someone does have a two disc-set of Tiger 10.4.6… please advise.

So if you don’t have your Cube’s original installer disc set (or you do but still can't boot from it) and the “Universal Installer” does not work for you, you might try Tiger 10.4.1.
If you do have the original installer disc set, Have you tried “Option-key” booting with one of the original disc(s) already in the drive OR possibly booting it into open firmware (also with installer disk pre-loaded in drive)? See: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4658.msg33605.html#msg33605
With the CD/DVD in the drive and machine shut down, boot into Open Firmware (holding down Option and Command and the “o” and “f” keys at startup) until the Open Firmware “text screen” shows. Then at the Open Firmware prompt, type:  "boot cd:,\\:tbxi" (exactly as shown, without the quotation marks) and then hit enter.

What’s your “alternate” Leopard-running Mac, that I assume you’re using to log on with?
Again, still awaiting another G4 Cube owner here to possibly chime in.
Still hope that the "Unsupported Installer" works.

Without an onboard fan and that PowerLogix processor, bet that Cube's a ho-lotta-hotta?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:34:43 AM by FdB »
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 08:49:00 PM »
to reformat he could boot into disk mode. both is new when it is new to someone. :) but maybe still less work than disassembling hardware?
(if i had a cube or of i needed to open a mini i would just replace the HD with a bigger one at the same time)