Author Topic: Filename length limit tool?  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Filename length limit tool?
« on: November 01, 2018, 08:00:19 PM »
I have a bunch of crashing via FTP and Appleshare due to long filenames. I've got so many files to rename that it's not possible to make time to rename everything manually. Is there some sort of OSX tool, or even Windows tool out there that can rename files and make them abide by the 31 character filename limit? I store all of my files on a NAS so I could use just about anything to rename them on any OS.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Filename length limit tool?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 10:32:52 PM »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:05 AM »
is there no FTP client that supports writing long filenames in OS9? (anarchy? network browser?)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:00:44 AM by IIO »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Naiw

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
Classic Mac OS never supported longer file names than 31 characters as far as I'm aware, HFS+ technically supports 255 character filenames but it was only effective on Mac OS X unless I misremember.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 06:01:34 PM »
MacOS9 technically also supports 255 unicode characters, it is just not implemented in finder and apples apps. :)

once more a weird policy i am afraid.

however, since he is transferring from windows to OSX, i would just use mhxd, KDX, or DAVE instead of afp or FTP, and long filenames will be properly transferred.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:58:24 AM »
How many files can be inside of a folder on HFS+, and how many files maximum can be on an HFS volume? I'm getting conflicting answers.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 03:07:18 AM »
I would trust Avid’s knowledge base:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/troubleshooting/en250749
The maximum file size is 2 GB. The maximum number of files on a volume is 54,536 The maximum number of files in a folder is 32,767 The maximum size of the data fork in a file is 2 GB The maximum size of the resource fork in a file is 16 megabytes.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 03:44:22 AM »
I would trust Avid’s knowledge base:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/troubleshooting/en250749
The maximum file size is 2 GB. The maximum number of files on a volume is 54,536 The maximum number of files in a folder is 32,767 The maximum size of the data fork in a file is 2 GB The maximum size of the resource fork in a file is 16 megabytes.

That's for HFS. The article says HFS+ allows 2 billion. Hmm... I'm wondering if certain software that was programmed while the HFS file system was still in use has trouble with volumes that have more than 64,000 files on them, even while running on an HFS+ platform.