Author Topic: eMac 1ghz Superdrive os 9 support help  (Read 4950 times)

Offline therealnph

• Newcomer
eMac 1ghz Superdrive os 9 support help
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »
Hello all new to the forum, i have installed os 9 on quicksilver g4 fw400 and now i was trying to get it onto my eMac 1ghz super drive model, from what i can find online this is not supported but posts range from 2002 to 2017 can somebody verify this?

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
Re: eMac 1ghz Superdrive os 9 support help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »
I have the same model eMac and have been going by this info from Everymac:

“Please note that the "Combo" drive configuration (M8950LL/A) is capable of booting in both MacOS 9 and MacOS X. The second "Combo" configuration (M9252LL/A) and "SuperDrive" configurations (M8951LL/A and M8951LL/A), however, *cannot* boot in MacOS 9. These are capable of running MacOS 9 applications within the MacOS X "Classic" environment provided by MacOS X 10.4.11 and earlier.” (https://everymac.com/systems/apple/emac/specs/emac_1.0.html)

I haven't really looked (yet) into the possibility of getting it to boot OS9, but for now I'm just enjoying the fact that it works in OS X after months of searching for a power button.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 05:33:33 AM »
Have you tried the Rom in the eMac thread?

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4361.0.html

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 07:50:45 PM »
According to Everymac, the 1gHz Superdrive eMac has the same video card (Radeon 7500) as the OS 9 bootable 800 mHz eMac, so maybe we wouldn't have to mess with the modified video drivers for the 1.25 gHz eMac (Radeon 9200).  Therealnph, are you willing to go first?  ;)  I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump in until I get a good external firewire drive setup for backups.

Good summary of the known issues in this thread: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4366.0.html

Offline therealnph

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 03:38:22 PM »
i tried booting from Install Mac OS 9.2.2 For Previously Unsupported G4s and no luck but i did not try the ROM ill give that a try this week and let you guys know how it goes, thanks for the responses (=

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 07:42:10 PM »
I just installed 10.4 from the retail DVD on my eMac, and I didn't see the option to install OS 9 drivers.  Did I just miss it or did the install detect that the eMac was not capable of booting OS and so did not provide the option for OS9 drivers?  Is one of the functions  of the ROM to provide the OS 9 drivers that would otherwise not be available? 

I set up a small partition of the eMac to use for OS 9 experimenting, but I might go back and install 10.4 again and watch more closely for the OS 9 drivers option.

Offline therealnph

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 05:40:47 AM »
i think the function of the rom is to let the emac know that drive is bootable, and yes i did not get the option to install OS9 drivers aswell, i had to
1-drag the system folder off the os9 for prev supported emacs disc to the current OS HDD (tiger) creating the os 9 environment required to install os 9.. lol
2-click the install app located on the disc. install to the partition you want os9 on.
3-then you just drag the boot rom to the os9 installed HDD( as far as i know atleast, i havnt tried yet because i gave up awhile ago and just installed tiger on the full partition i have to partition it to try again.)
 but am busy currently trying to fix a powermac g5 )= going to try asap

Offline dustinschings

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 05:57:38 PM »
I have a 1GHz (ATI) with the Radeon 7500 and a PowerPC G4 7445 CPU.  This is also the model that if it weren't the Superdrive version, it would have been able to boot to OS9.  I too would like to boot to OS9 on mine.  Is there anything I can test to see if we can get a method that works for these models so we can add this model to the other thread with each model and how to install it?

I burned the OS9Lives CD image and I will await any advice on what I should try.