Author Topic: Weak backlight  (Read 3213 times)

Offline sarah

• Newcomer
Weak backlight
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:22:53 PM »
I got my hands on an old iBook, which sort of functions but it does have a lot of issues.
The screen works, although it's extremely dark, to the point where you can barely see whats on the screen. On a more minor note the keyboard inputs on its own, as does the touchpad.
Whilst I am no stranger to repairing things, and plan to replace the the keyboard and such.
I was wondering, should the whole screen assembly be replaced, or just the backlight?
And, even if this procedure is worth it, I don't think just the backlight can be easily obtained, so I'm guessing replacing the screen in it's entirety is the best bet?
Your reward for this boring thread is me posting some pics in a while when it's all fixed up.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Weak backlight
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:56:29 PM »
Boring?

Yesterday I carefully replaced the tiny plug-end on a bluetooth board connector, in a Mac mini.
(Ordered the replacement board with a black socket instead of the correct white one.)
Now that’s boring.

Can you be a bit more specific about which iBook and OS you’re working with / on?
(Helps those of us here that just might have faced similar problems & replacement tasks.)

First suggestion…  a nice clean and fresh install of the OS to eliminate any of those
possible variables before surgery. Next, well… others here are certain to chime in.

And BTW… welcome.
This Must Be The Place

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
I got my hands on an old iBook, which sort of functions but it does have a lot of issues.
The screen works, although it's extremely dark, to the point where you can barely see whats on the screen. On a more minor note the keyboard inputs on its own, as does the touchpad.
Whilst I am no stranger to repairing things, and plan to replace the the keyboard and such.
I was wondering, should the whole screen assembly be replaced, or just the backlight?
And, even if this procedure is worth it, I don't think just the backlight can be easily obtained, so I'm guessing replacing the screen in it's entirety is the best bet?
Your reward for this boring thread is me posting some pics in a while when it's all fixed up.

I've got an extra backlight for a 12", but I'd replace that KB first, it maybe signaling down on the backlight.

Offline sarah

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:26 AM »
Boring?

Yesterday I carefully replaced the tiny plug-end on a bluetooth board connector, in a Mac mini.
(Ordered the replacement board with a black socket instead of the correct white one.)
Now that’s boring.
That is pretty interesting to me, I just figure most people don't find it so!
Did you solder it in? Or is it more simple than that?

Can you be a bit more specific about which iBook and OS you’re working with / on?
(Helps those of us here that just might have faced similar problems & replacement tasks.)
Ah yeah, I should be more specific for archiving purposes.
Well, I do have an G3 500mhz that I am fixing up, it's screen is just broken, for a more polite way to say it.
This one is an iBook G4, 1.33 GHZ, right now it's on 10.4 Tiger.

First suggestion…  a nice clean and fresh install of the OS to eliminate any of those
possible variables before surgery. Next, well… others here are certain to chime in.
Pretty smart, I also meant to ask, what interface does the hard drive in this thing use?
SATA/PATA/IDE?
And BTW… welcome.
Thanks buddy!

I've got an extra backlight for a 12", but I'd replace that KB first, it maybe signaling down on the backlight.
Oh man, why didn't I think of that.
Thanks for the offer, but being an Aussie makes sending and receiving things hard, haha.

I will try these suggestions, thanks!

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 11:30:28 PM »
Did you solder it in?
A: Soldered & heat-shrink tubed.

Considering the year 2014, I’d assume… most likely an Ultra ATA 44 pin PATA/IDE (without actual exploratory surgery). There’s a 12” G3 iBook and a 17” G4 PowerBook for comparison here but I’m not keen on cracking either one open unless absolutely necessary. (My big-clumsy-fingers syndrome.)

Here, always begin with thorough blow-out, cleaning and checking connections along the way... and then, a fresh OS install. (Before sedation.) ::)

Maybe check with the folks @ https://www.thinkclassic.org for “possible local” parts? (Think that they’re based in Australia or NZ?). Just a thought. As we have yet… once again, run into the old “across-the-seas” shipping cost / duties barrier for parts. (Holiday suitcase shipping to the U.K.?) You’ve no mates visiting the States lately (or soon) on holiday?

AND, have you tried an external KB and mouse? (Does sound most-likely internal.) But one never knows what some previous owner might have installed (or spilled) that possibly could create such KB havoc.

Onward!
This Must Be The Place