Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > General Hardware Discussions

MDD temperature readings

(1/6) > >>

Andre Solomko:
Hello... maybe that was beaten here but what are your readings and what is healthy for g4 CPU? I have dual 1,2ghz board.from Fw800  and it goes about 56-60 celsium. Would. Like to see your readings to compare.

FdB:
Dependent upon how you’re actually arriving at that particular temperature reading AND what all you’ve got installed and running inside of that MDD (in addition to the dust/dirt build up on all internal fans and their current working condition)… 56˚ to 60˚C (with 60˚C = 140˚ F) seems a bit on the hot side to me.

You might check all your fans’ functions and clean them as necessary and consider replacing / renewing the heatsink paste. I don’t have a FW800 up on the bench right now for exact comparison… but the dual 1.25 GHz FW400s here, typically run up to around 56.6˚C / 134˚F (under load and extended run time). With fan cleaning and overall interior dusting (and new heatsink paste) that operating temperature does drop.

Dusting, cleaning and new heatsink paste is just good preventive maintenance procedure on these old-ish machines… and not all that difficult to do. If I can today, I’ll check a FW800 here and maybe others will report their FW800 temps in the meantime?

See: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3957.msg26823.html#msg26823 and read through the rest of that thread. (And… the use of steel wool is not recommended.) ;)

GaryN:
Mid-50s C is in line with my Sonnet-enhanced FW400 and two MDDs that came before it - one 1GHz and one 1.42GHz. There's no difference between FW400s and FW800s as far as temps go. They use the same MBs and CPUs. Under serious load, you will see temp creep up toward 60C That should NOT be an issue as long as the fan RPM increases accordingly. That said…

Clean and reinstall new thermal paste! This is critical!!

The fans will run harder:
1) in OS9 with all of the load on one proc.
2) Under proc-intensive tasks (rendering video for example)
3) If you have the interior stuffed full of PCI cards and HDDs
4) If it's dirty inside

Andre Solomko:
Thanx for coming.  I have a pretty fresh paste and no dust. Its a heavenly modded mdd 1,25 single with processor board from fw800 dual.
Insiide is  ATX psu and digi001 . Optical drive bay removed for an airflow sake. There are about 5 coolers runnuing on slow speed What is funny i cant measure a temp on 9..2 but i think if is less  because fans are  runnung on full speed and on tiger they kick in only after 60 degrees MDD was a dumb desigh from beginning as you know and needs a reengineering.

GaryN:

--- Quote from: Andre Solomko on October 07, 2018, 03:00:01 PM ---What is funny i cant measure a temp on 9..2 but i think if is less  because fans are  runnung on full speed

--- End quote ---
There is a firmware mod to relax the fans in OS9. I don't remember where I found it but someone else here probably does or I can dig it up.

--- Quote from: Andre Solomko on October 07, 2018, 03:00:01 PM --- MDD was a dumb desigh from beginning as you know and needs a reengineering.

--- End quote ---
Well, it's a little late for that now… BUT I think it's actually a pretty brilliant design when you consider they managed to put three ATA buses with connections for four HDDs and two optical drives along with two processors, four PCI slots, the AGP display slot and a PSU that runs all of that and powers a Cinema Display to boot in a cool polycarbonate shell. Sure, it's noisy and has a few little issues, but nothing you can't correct and when you consider it dual/triple/quadruple-boots, runs 10.5 really well and absolutely blazes on OS9…

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version