Author Topic: OS 9.2.2 Universal Install ISO CD with 10.4  (Read 9504 times)

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
OS 9.2.2 Universal Install ISO CD with 10.4
« on: September 24, 2018, 03:46:48 PM »

How can I use the Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install - ISO CD Image to install OS9 on a partition in 10.4?

Here’s what I have:

•   PowerMac G4 1.25 DP (FW400), 10.4.11, single hard drive with two partitions, Mac OS 9 drivers installed.  The partition on which I want to install OS 9 is formatted with Mac OS Extended (not journaled).

•   Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install - ISO CD Image

I’m not sure how to use this image to install OS9 on one partition and keep 10.4 on the other partition.  Can I use Disk Utility/Restore in 10.4 to restore the MacOS9Lives.img from the CD to the desired partition?  If I boot from the CD, will I be able to select the partition on which to install OS9?

I’ve studied the “How to Install Mac OS 9 if you already have OS X Installed” post, which uses OS9general.dmg and the Restore feature in OS X, but OS9general.dmg doesn’t have the later ROM and CPU Software versions available on the Universal Install.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.  I really don’t want to screw this up!

Marty

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
Re: OS 9.2.2 Universal Install ISO CD with 10.4
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:51:01 AM »
You could mount MacOS9Lives.dmg, then drag all the files over from the mounted image to your partition, then bless it in terminal:
Code: [Select]
sudo bless --folder "/Volumes/Name of OS 9 Partition/System Folder"

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 03:03:33 PM »
Thanks for your post.  I’m able to mount the MacOS9Lives CD, but when I try to mount the MacOS9Lives.img file, I get the message “The disk image you are opening may be damaged and may damage your system” with the options to Open/Don’t Open.   

Should I go ahead and open it or is there an issue with the file format? The file on the CD is MacOS9Lives.img (not .dmg).

When I mount the CD, I see a Systems Folder.  Is it possible to copy the folder to my HFS+ partition and boot into OS9 from that partition (as described in MacTron’s “Mac OS 9 Booting and Installing for Beginers” post (http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2765.0.html)?

Thanks again.

Marty

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 04:44:16 AM »
Yes do open the file when you try to mount it. Some images do that for a particular reason that is unknown to me.

Wouldn't use the System Folder right from the CD, as it is only meant so you can boot up to the installer.

So yeah just mount the img and click open when asked, then select all the items in the mounted disk image and drag them over to your partition and bless it.

But I don't think you even need to do this. You should just be able to boot the CD, and install onto that separate partition.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:14:39 AM by RossDarker »

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:26:48 AM »
Ross, thank you again for your help with this.  The Read Me file with the CD suggests running Drive Setup as the first step.  The only other time I've used the CD was format a drive with no partitions and install only 9.2.2.  So, I'll give the CD a try, but if I don't see an option to install to the existing partition, I'll retreat to mounting MacOS9Lives.img

Marty

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
Only reason you'd use drive setup would be to erase the whole disk, or partition it, but you have already done this in OS X (and put OS 9 drivers on), so you can go straight to the Apple Software Restore.

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »
Ross,  yup, that did it.  I booted from the CD, which opened to Drive Setup.  I closed that, and started Apple System Restore from the CD.  That gave me the option to select the partition.  I was lucky that this machine had the OS 9 drivers installed and that the partition was not journaled.

Thanks again for your help with this!

Marty