Author Topic: Still No sound with external speakers in AUX out jack  (Read 7303 times)

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
Still No sound with external speakers in AUX out jack
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:29:34 PM »
Hello, I plugged in some external speakers with sound control, but even after turning it up to max, I heard nothing.

Do I need to re-install OS 9 for this to work, or is this an issue with the device? I have a USB audio out, but its not doing anything

EDIT: See bellow for more results
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:37:34 PM by SabithaSuki »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: No sound with external speakers in AUX out jack
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:48:57 PM »
I (sort of) hate to be rude, but you posted the equivalent of "Help, I put gas into something, but even after filling it, it's still purple. What's wrong?"

Plugged in which speakers?
Plugged into what?
Turned what up?
What device?
USB audio out what?
On DVD? Software?

When you ask a question about stuff without identifying or even describing that stuff, you're not likely to get a useful answer.

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
Fwd: No sound with external speakers in AUX out jack
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:20:24 PM »
EDIT: Okay Fixed the DVD drive. Lets start from the top

Plugged in which speakers?
A Pair of generic 3.5mm clear acrilc cube speakers with volume controls mounted on the outside, tested with my iPhone 6S

Plugged into what?

The Aux Jack and the USB audio device ( a M-Audio USB Transit) with both outputting nothing

Turned what up?

Both the internal Audio controlls for the M-Audio Device and the external knob.

What device?

In refrence to my OP, the speakers.

USB audio out what?

The M-Audio Transit.

Now for the more extensive test logs.

TEST 1: Generic Audio out Test for Speakers
Worked alright, outputted at a modest tone and volume controls worked.

TEST 2: Testing Speaker from Audio out port on Mac Mini.
Nothing, couldn't hear anything, audio stuck at bottom in control panel, and middle through menu bar.

TEST 3: Testing headphones with volume control in Audio out port on Mac Mini.
Nada, no signs of audio, even when fiddling with the volume slider.

TEST 4: Testing Speaker from M-Audio Transit

Nnnope, no signs of life, much to my suprise given the drivers installed proper and showed up in both its control panel and the audio pane.

TEST 5: Testing Headphones from M-Audio Transit

This was by far my most interesting of tests. During startup, I heard several faint buzzing noises, like an amp warming up. This persisted until I reached the desktop, and then silence.

Side note: I used the 9.2.2 drivers from the included driver disk, I was unaware of any hacked-up alternatives needed.

I Hope this is more verbose.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:37:06 PM by SabithaSuki »

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Still No sound with external speakers in AUX out jack
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 03:26:10 AM »
I never bothered about system/multimedia audio (only interested in DAW or audio edit stuff)
Afaik what you experience is regular - there is no 'hacked' system driver yet.
I experienced the exact same symptoms on my Mini G4 1.2 GHZ.
Some OS-9 compatible audio interface like the original MBox, Roland/Edirol UA25/101 or similiar have been reported to work, but that may be restricted to Asio.

Imho some audio apps do work, but the setup seems to become instable with more messing around, so I re-installed the basic system from scratch and never touched any system audio panel again. The Mini's headphone socket goes to an aux channel of another interface to have some volume control as audio is either off or full on with digital distortion. The distortion is not related to the analog signal level, it's pure digital clipping.
The apps I use are Bias Peak, Tokyo and Sonicworx Pro - but that doesn't help you at all.
I have no idea why this works, but it's at least useable to some degree.
But it's absolutely certain that any system audio will fail atm - save your time. ;)

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Little bit late for that X_X
So I'm guessing M-Audio isn't on that list, no mater what can be done?

I heard rumors you could stick a speaker with volume controls in the auxillary jack to edit the fixed volume, but I worry that may be capped at to low an output with no means to change it.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »
Don't know if this might help, but I dug it back up (concerning the Transit)...

Sometimes, I can remember things. :o

*** Sound Advanced for the Mac mini - Real World Testing ***

OK, so the sound issues with the Mac Mini really put a damper on my initial testing, so I decided to Load up the DieHard Instant DAW
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2716.0.html

and Test Cubase and other Virtual instruments on the Mac mini.

So initially, I hit a brick wall Cubase would crash at the loading logo and give "error type 3" and freeze the mini 100%.  I could not force quit the application :(

So, thinking CuBase did NOT like the sound chip (as Mactron mentioned), I stuck in my faithful USB M-Audio Transit
This thing fuc*&ing rocks, as it will record/playback up to 24 Bit 96K audio, ebay price about $30 to $40

Now the mac mini had a Mac Keyboard in USB1, a mouse into the keyboard, and the M-audio transit in USB2
I used a 6 inch USB cable and it still looks compact.

=========================================================================

OK, so I did the install for the Transit and BAM !  Instant normal sound, route the sound control panel in/out and even if you do not record music, this is a great addition to the mini under OS 9 since it is very small and make the mini act "normal" with system sound and all apps

Ohh... and here are the added Control Panel and extensions:

=========================================================================

Now load the ASIO driver into CuBase and viola, no more crash, loads and runs like a champ !!!!

Now the shocker, I loaded a song that contained 32 bit floating point audio files (true tape) and this baby still played them back !  So the transit can actually be used to mixdown 32 Bit projects on the mini. Overall performance was great, Unit noise is Very low (super quiet) and it is a very nice DAW for OS 9

This Must Be The Place

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 11:27:11 PM »
Is this using the default 9.2.2 driver disk with the transit, cause I isntalled that and no dice. Do I have to uninstall it and install a newer / modified version, or some other procedure?

I see there is a restore utility, however it doesn't specifiy if it works with the G4 Mac mini, or if I have to transfer the system folder from the V7 install volume.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:07:00 AM by DieHard »

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 01:35:37 AM »
thanks @Fury deBongo for mentioning another low budget interface candidate. 8)
Just check your extensions and control panels if the M-Audio items pictured in the screenshots above are present on your system.
A complete restore is only required if something else got messed by obscure reasons, imho.

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
Still No sound with external speakers in AUX out jack or M-Audio Transit.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 02:25:19 AM »
Okay so the Diehard DAW pack flopped, and I am under the suspicious the stock driver cd is not working.

However I have some questions.

1. In the readme it stated that the headphone jack exports at a fixed audio; how low is that audio, and is it possible to hack the fixed value. My speakers have a volume dial and with that cranked up to max, I still hear nothing, and I know the headphone jack works from tiger.

2. What drivers / extension are used for the M-Audio transport specifically. I need to narrow this down as much as I can.

3. The disk drivers showed the device, but played no sound. What could be the reason behind that.

I'd appreciate some clarification, as I am very VERY confused at this point. No fixed audio as described, no M-audio support, all working units and ports, V7 install iso, what's going on here?!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:14:57 AM by SabithaSuki »

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Still No sound with external speakers in AUX out jack or M-Audio Transit.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »
Okay so the Diehard DAW pack flopped, and I am under the suspicious the stock driver cd is not working.

However I have some questions.

1. In the readme it stated that the headphone jack exports at a fixed audio; how low is that audio, and is it possible to hack the fixed value. My speakers have a volume dial and with that cranked up to max, I still hear nothing, and I know the headphone jack works from tiger.

2. What drivers / extension are used for the M-Audio transport specifically. I need to narrow this down as much as I can.

3. The disk drivers showed the device, but played no sound. What could be the reason behind that.

I'd appreciate some clarification, as I am very VERY confused at this point. No fixed audio as described, no M-audio support, all working units and ports, V7 install iso, what's going on here?!

The Instant DAW never flopped so far. Its more a issue on your end. The Instant Daw was made for Macs capable of running OS9 and not for hacks. You might have overwritten some vital drivers/components in the attempt to make it work by drag and drop or you ran both installations after another. Thats not going to work. Btw you never mention on what hardware you trying to run it, like what mac and such. Lets say you running it on a Mini why dont you install Cubase from the Installer Disc and the rest of it along with it such as drivers and have a clean install to test with and single out problems. Collect the latest drivers if possible for your hardware and go one step at the time. Reading a readme file doesnt mean everything mentioned in it applies to your config. At the end a Hack is a Hack and not a warranty you get everything to work.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 11:42:50 AM »

OK, so let's go slow and try to clarify a few things...

1) The diehard instant DAW works on all native os 9.2.2 machines, on the mini, however, some files must be "injected" AFTER you run the ASR from another mac (with the Mini in target mode) BEFORE you boot the mini to OS9...
I believe you can now run the custom updater, from Ross (you may want to PM him to see if this will work)

From RossDarker...

Full topic here...

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2408.msg31228/topicseen.html#msg31228

Look for the following:
New SIT archive, contains updater app, I made in apple script. You should put this in the Mac mini download folder Diehard. This updates ANY disk you specify. The disk you update needs to have Mac OS 9 on, in any configuration. This app makes it run on a Mac mini, and has all the latest stuff (v7), whilst keeping the rest of the System Folder and the hard disk of the existing disk.

little demo of me updating from a v5 install to v7...
https://youtu.be/BHqGZATBLBk

Attached is the SIT.

If this does NOT work, you can replace the files manually (after installing the instant DAW), they consist of an updated ROM file, Modified Video drivers, and removing the energy saving

2) Now install the Transit software found in this pack here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4438.0.html

If this does not work, I will take out the mini from cold storage and tell you exact versions of transit software and extensions

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
Challenge accpeted based god. I got the DAW to work allready, it flopped with the lack of drivers.

I'm going to assume that using the internal AUX is a ruse, in it that it doesn't work even with a volume control knob.

Therefore It's time for plan B!

I will report as updates come.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:05:53 PM by SabithaSuki »

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
We Have sound!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 03:42:32 PM »
I say again- BASED. GOD.

It ends up I was using an earlier revision of the M-Audio Disk (Cira 2002 one) that caused the USB to shite the bed.

I'm now Quacking in full stereo as we speak! My next step is to find a wireless adapter that supports my RT-AC1900P router and its WAP2 secure network, that and maybe get a second one of these to have both speaker and headphone outs at my disposal

Either way, problem is solved, thanks to all who pitched in!