Author Topic: Creator code '????'  (Read 3559 times)

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
Creator code '????'
« on: September 11, 2018, 04:37:29 AM »
Norton Disk Doctor complains frequently about test programs that I wrote that I gave a creator code and a 'BNDL' but no icons.

It complains that "The bundle bit is on but should be off."

Then I removed the 'BNDL' and changed the creator code to '\?\?\?\?'. Now I have many programs with creator code '\?\?\?\?'. Can this cause problems?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Creator code '????'
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:27:06 AM »
I would NOT use disk doctor on 9.2.2, it is NOT reliable at all on anything above 9.0, including what it deems is an issue with a file

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 04:36:52 PM »
norton compains about that error all the time, not only with your custom apps. and it is not an important issue which would need to be fixed.

a creator code of ???? is okay, it wont cause any problems. it is just a way of saying "i dont have a creator code". it is common to also type this in manually, for example using a hex editor.

works likewise with the type code ... of course applications, desktop accessories or fonts must have a proper type code for a #reason :) ... but for most types of documents it is technically okay.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:22:16 PM »
norton compains about that error all the time, not only with your custom apps. and it is not an important issue which would need to be fixed.

a creator code of ? ? ? ? is okay, it wont cause any problems. it is just a way of saying "i dont have a creator code". it is common to also type this in manually, for example using a hex editor.

works likewise with the type code ... of course applications, desktop accessories or fonts must have a proper type code for a #reason :) ... but for most types of documents it is technically okay.
insert arbitrary signature here