Author Topic: Apple pro keyboard mdd os9,2  (Read 11528 times)

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Apple pro keyboard mdd os9,2
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »
 Here you go. "Just works"doesn't sound very scientific. More like a marketing slogan. Never used a Mac plus but did enough of macintoshing and Hackintoshing nowdays to know that anything needs drivers and nothing "just works" in a computer world.. Anyway if you take a look at your system folder you will see exactly the same extension. This one what I am posting is taken from Mac OS9,2 universal iso what is uploaded on this site. Also why would I use Microsoft office an OS9 Mac? I have a Hackintosh with Sierra what I am using to post this. I am running PT and Logic and all usual suspects on my MDD

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 07:04:09 PM »
"It Just Works" IS a marketing slogan. BUT it's also a philosophy of integrating stuff in software so that stuff, well, just works. No zillions of extra driversand such required. It's something you can do when you control BOTH the hardware and the software as Apple does.

Now…I forgot all about "HID library" because I have never used, needed or had it active. So, I take officially back what I said about there being no such thing in Apple-Land.
Here's the official synopsis:
"HDLib is used by Input Sprocket. It must be present to use many USB gaming devices and Microsoft Intelli Mouse."
AND
"HID Library is required to use the volume controls and the eject key on the new iMac and PowerMac G4 keyboards. (Apple Extended USB Keyboard)"

…neither of which you have. I DO notice however, a suspicious black looks-like-a-mouse-cord plugged into your kbd in the pic you posted.
Might that be a 3rd-party mouse? Just a wild guess, but anyway, you say the error is gone now that the HID is turned back on so we'll have to chalk this up to on of those mysterious things that happen when you run 20-year-old software…

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 12:54:23 AM »
Yes Gary lets chalk this up to!  "HID Library is required to use the volume controls and the eject key on the new iMac and PowerMac G4 keyboards. (Apple Extended USB Keyboard) . Thars a keyboard what i have. its all because of volume eject buttons which i definitely have. Anything what goes beyond a generic. Kkeyboard driver integrated in OF even NEEDS a driver! Somebody have to tell to OS wat that button  means. In this case its a HIDlibrary What to mice its a generic usb and i never used a third part software for it.

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
you're absolutely correct in technical terms that a 'driver' is needed - Gary just wants to point out that this (kind of) driver is and always has been a part of the regular system software. ;)

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »
Yes yes i think i understood Gary s point. Actually its nothing to argue about.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »
I have always left the 9.2.2 HID extension in there... I assumed it held definitions about "Human Interfaces", I also assumed it meant "Human Interface Driver/Devices" and was needed for some USB items for humans only... like keyboards; aliens from Mars do NOT need this driver and obviously use the mind to input data into a G4; since it cropped up in 9.2.2, I figured it might have been a bridge for running 9.2.2 in classic.

At any rate, Mactron even uses this baby on his barebones extension list, so I never questioned it... as you know, if Mactron left it in there, it is definitely needed since he like to recover every last scrap of memory and loads only the bare balls of what is needed. 

M.A.R.L. (labs) may give us a final insight on this controversy...
1) Who originally engineered the "HID extension"... Apple ?  A third party for Apple ?
2) What hardware is mapped out in there ?  Only keyboards ?
3) Why do we even want to know ?
4) Who misplaced my Biscotti ! ? I need breakfast

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
You answered all your questions by yourself.
Apple was ruled by Reptiloids as well as MS and their products is a masterpiece of allien technology as everyone knows. It is a progressive mission masked
by business,   it's too advanced to be human and sometimes they live for the best of us (smartest ones) some clues such as HID
Only allien and very advanced one could invent Microsoft Windows because its beyond human logic even...Or OSes which every year getting heavier for few gigabytes  doing basically the same thing....compare please Mac OS 10,3 and 10.12. All advanced features are not for humans..Thats why most of people don't even use them or even aware of them. Let me stop there

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Biscotti Envy
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
Testing with the following four different Apple USB keyboards, with the HID Library extension “off” and running Mac OS 9.2.2… only the original iMac keyboard (M2452) did not display the keyboard dialog box (image below) at startup. In addition (also with the HID Library extension “off”, with all four keyboards) the second (+image below) also displayed the Apple Cinema Display dialog box as well. (With mouse connected to Cinema Display USB port and directly into machine’s USB port.)

(1). Original iMac USB keyboard  M2452 (2). Extended Acrylic  M7803
(3). Extended Model  A1048 and (4). “Chiclet” Extended  A1243.

Given now typical efforts to pare down, or to minimize the total “basic” number of extensions necessary and with the intended goal of maximizing overall performance… some may attempt turning this HID extension off. (I have done so in the past.) Certainly it is unnecessary when using an original iMac keyboard… but yet there are other, possibly heretofore unknown resultant effects, apparently. Leave it on.

Awaiting M.A.R.L. labs’ insight. And at least someone has  “misplaced” Biscotti. :(
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »
Egad, what a cluster! I find, upon reviewing all communications in this thread, that I played a significant role in passing on my mis-reading mis-interpreting mis-understanding complete idiotic confusion and generally contributing to a awful lot of wasted time and energy on everybody's part.

My bad. My sincere apologies to all.

Also, thanks to the resident hoarder studious collector Fury deBongo for having four different keyboards on hand to demonstrate the relationship between said units and the "HID Library" extension which now appears to have been proven to exist pretty much only to enable the volume and eject buttons…

Coming next week: Mice! What the Hell do all of those buttons do?? Why is the Magic Mouse too small for all but Chinese children's hands? Is the click wheel an Illuminati plot?

Stay tuned…

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 08:09:27 AM »
Illuminati plot

Gary, thanks for the reminder... I keep meaning to order a six pack of "Lou Malnati" deep dish pizzas from Chicago!!!

Tip: The heart shaped ones score major points with the 'significant others' ! ;D

https://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/Lou_Malnatis_Pizza