Author Topic: Apple pro keyboard mdd os9,2  (Read 11523 times)

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Apple pro keyboard mdd os9,2
« on: September 09, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
Hello! If anyone remembers how to set it up? I am getting annoying message that there is no driver for it. Press ok it works except of numlock part.
Anyone?

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Apple pro keyboard mdd os9,2
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »
Which "exact" keyboard (please describe in greater detail - Apple number would be nice) are you trying to use?
This Must Be The Place

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
this one. thanks

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
I use the very same model (personal favorite here) on several MDDs running OS 9.2.2.
Zero problems. Do you have something "different"  plugged into the keyboard's USB ports?
(ZAP PRAM / rebuild the desktop.) Disconnect non-apple USB devices and test.
New or recent OS 9.2.2 install?

Is this the same MDD you were having boot problems with and suspecting the PSU?
Has that situation been solved /rectified before this problem?
This Must Be The Place

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:31:03 PM »
Thanks I am not a newbie and of course have tried all this usual shamanism. Its not about PRAM etc. There should be a file somewhere is system folder but I don't remember which. Maybe in applications /apple or something.

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »
It reports that it can't find a software for a apple keyboard. After I press OK it works but no numlock

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
Ought yes about PSU. I just rewired  a PC PSU. Actually I have to MDD. On both installed a PC PSU Problem is gone

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 05:01:02 PM »
You might want to do as suggested--zap PRAM/NVRAM.  You could also boot with Extensions disabled so you can see if there is an Extension conflict.

Try using it in a different USB port, or try USBOverdrive and see if it works fine.

So, in order:

1. Does another USB keyboard work? If so, then the issue is more with the keyboard. If it does not. . . . .  .
2. Unplug they keyboard and plug into another USB port. If it works, cool-might be a dead USB port or a dead keyboard. If it does not......
3. Grab USB Overdrive and install it. If it works, cool. If not. . . . . .
4. Boot with MacOS9 Base extensions. If it works, then you have an Extension conflict.  If not.....
5. Zap PRAM/NVRAM. If that works, cool. If not: I am out of ideas.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »
Thanks but the same keyboard works on the same machine with Tiger. So its about OS9

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »
There are seven fully functioning MDDs here and after resurrecting all of them with OS 9.2.2, I’ve never been asked for a “keyboard driver”. (Although occasionally, I do wonder why one or another of them won’t boot… then discover that they simply aren’t plugged into power.) ::)

Have you possibly disabled any of the necessary USB drivers, extensions or the actual Keyboard Control Panel in the Extensions Manager? Sounds like possibly this may be the case.

And thanks Torvan, great detailed approach to possible discovery. (I’m out of ideas too.)
This Must Be The Place

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »
Thanks but the same keyboard works on the same machine with Tiger. So its about OS9

Well that only satisfies a single thing--that it works on another OS.  Then move to the next step.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 10:08:36 PM »
Based on your pic, you have the "Apple Keyboard" A1048 made from 2003 to 2007. Although it post-dates OS9, it is supposed to be compatible with OS 9.0.4 forward.
I have and have used the preceding model "Apple Pro Keyboard" M7803 (with the USB ports on a top "extension" on each end). That's the acrylic that came with the MDD in black or white keys from 2000 to 2003. It has the same requirements of OS 9.0.4.
My kbd has a clear / num lock key which is actually labeled as both with an LED that will not light (though another LED on the "caps lock" does). It works in both 9.2.2 and 10.5.8 as a "clear" when using the Calculator but NOT as a "num lock" in any app I can think of. in fact, in OS 10.5.8, I get a complaint sound if it's pushed anytime other that in Calculator.
It reports that it can't find a software for a apple keyboard. After I press OK it works but no numlock
What do you mean "no numlock"? when? How?
Since the num keys (and indeed, virtually ALL num keys on Mac kbds) do NOT serve dual-functions for up, down etc. there's no reason for even having a num lock key on a Mac kbd. that's why your "clear" is labled only "clear".

As for the "can't find software for an Apple keyboard", all of the code for kbds is in the OS.
There is the "USB Device" Extension 1.5.9 which needs to be active but I'm guessing that's NOT your issue because virtually nothing USB works without it.

Is there a chance this is an error from a 3rd party extension or Control Panel / app? I only ask because we have to guess since we can't see it.
If it's a Mac OS error message, I can only guess you have something missing from the base System and unless someone here is a ResEdit genius who knows exactly what to look for, you should reinstall a new OS9 from a different source.

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »
Thanks for reply.  ASP reports ir to be Apple Extended keyboard ID524 driver version 1,5,9 (Mitsumi Electronics) if its matter.
So on startup it reports that can't find a software needed for USB device Apple extended keyboard. Anyway it works with a generic driver I guess and see it as USB Hoob but bum pad not working I would like to get read of annoying message on startup No more. Thank

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Apple Keyboard MDD OS 9.2
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »
Pardon my utter ignorance here, but what is a “bum pad”? Some USB device (connected to keyboard/hub)
that’s not recognized by the “HID Library” extension in OS 9 ...that is possibly causing this annoying message?

Same Apple Extended keyboard (Mitsumi Electronics) with Driver Version 1.5.9
shows up here on MDDs working under OS 9.2.2 without startup message.
Do you have something "different"  plugged into the keyboard's USB ports?
Disconnect non-apple USB devices and test.
New or recent OS 9.2.2 install?
This Must Be The Place

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 01:18:55 PM »
Pardon my rush on typing I meant "numeric pad". OK PROBLEM IS SOLVED. It was a HID extension by itself.
It was turned off. I haven't used a machine for a while and don't remember how it disappeared from my Pro Tools extension set.
Extension by itself is not needed but it gives this annoying message. what to num pads some buttons stopped working altogether messing things out even more, I have to figure out how to fix it. Would be a shame to give up such a lovely keyboard

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
Toot Toot ! (my own horn ;D ;D ;D) Exactly as I thought…a 3rd party extension

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
Apple extension actually. But yes and thanks for a help for everyone. What is really strange for me why in the hell you need a HID extension to make this thing running.As I mentioned it works without it anyway. 20 yeARS OLD BUG...question can be left for a doomsday

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Apple Pro Keyboard
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »
Congrats! Glad that you’ve figured it out. I would definitely ZAP / Rebuild… upon restart
to see if that would help fully recognize your keyboard and “num pad”
...if it has not done so already after reboot.

Also, quite relieved here… because the image below is all that I could find concerning
“bum pad”. Thought you might have possibly meant “drum pad”…
an altogether different type of “enhancement”. ;)
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 03:14:35 PM »
Pardon my rush on typing I meant "numeric pad". OK PROBLEM IS SOLVED. It was a HID extension by itself.
It was turned off. I haven't used a machine for a while and don't remember how it disappeared from my Pro Tools extension set.
Extension by itself is not needed but it gives this annoying message. what to num pads some buttons stopped working altogether messing things out even more, I have to figure out how to fix it. Would be a shame to give up such a lovely keyboard
I dunno Andre…the more we discuss this, the more confused i get.
I have never, repeat never in all my years on Macs, from my first Mac Plus forward, seen an Apple HID extension…period.

HID is a "thing" common to Windows PCs, and if it ever "crosses over" into Mac-land, you can probably thank Microsoft for stuffing it into your System folder along with the hundred-odd other MS Word, Office, Excel etc etc little garbage piles needed to run their products that end up just laying around in the Extensions folder even though you never use and don't need them.

However, I repeat: I've never, ever seen an HID extension or file of ANY kind in a Mac System…period.

The only "keyboard drivers" needed to run an Apple keyboard with an Apple Mac computer are built in. That's part of the Mac philosophy "It Just Works".
So, I'll stick with my conclusion that it's a 3rd party extension messing up your startup that doesn't belong. There may also be other things in the System folders interacting with it as well.

NOTE: I have been known to be wrong, not often, but nobody's perfect. If this is a real Apple extension, I'd love to see it. Upload a copy and we'll see what ResEdit can tell us. I'd also love to see a screenshot of the error message too.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 04:23:02 PM »
Apple extension actually. But yes and thanks for a help for everyone. What is really strange for me why in the hell you need a HID extension to make this thing running.As I mentioned it works without it anyway. 20 yeARS OLD BUG...question can be left for a doomsday

it functions the same way as in OSX i think: HID is built into the OS, but when you have third party HID kext installed, such as from logitech, it can happen that it pushes in the foreground and claims a newly connected device (despite a different manufacturer); removing it will fix the issue.
insert arbitrary signature here