Author Topic: CD Rom Drive vanished after installing second HD in G4 Dual door quick silver  (Read 2645 times)

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Gave my old 5.3.1 protools rig to my teenage son.   It works fine as did the CD Rom. Except I added a second HD, now both of those drives work great but the CD rom has vanished. I have the two drives set to master slave as that is what it seems to like, but I can not find a jumper setting the works with the CD Rom?

Any idea what I should do.  Some people say everything should be cable select. others say master slave, I am already trying to make that work.   BTW The two hard drives are on the same cable together and the CD rom is connected to the factor cable that was pre installed for the CD Rom.

Thanks!!

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Quick Silver likes "Master" and "Slave"...

Set the Optical/CD to master (Single Jumper closest to the 40-pin connector) and connect to the end of the cable

also check for cable damage that may have occurred while shutting the case if you did NOT tape the PATA cable up and out of the way

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Quick Silver likes "Master" and "Slave"...

Set the Optical/CD to master (Single Jumper closest to the 40-pin connector) and connect to the end of the cable

also check for cable damage that may have occurred while shutting the case if you did NOT tape the PATA cable up and out of the way

Thanks! Ill futz around with it a bit more.   The CD was already set to master and the cable to that is still following the factory path. The only thing different is I added a second drive and on the same cable as the main drive. I set the second drive to slave.  Ill check to make sure this is all correct again.