Author Topic: Imaging CD's in 10.13+  (Read 4182 times)

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
Imaging CD's in 10.13+
« on: September 03, 2018, 05:46:02 AM »
If I try to image a bootable Mac OS 9 CD in High Sierra or Mojave with Disk Utility, it doesn't see the other partitions on the CD, the ones Apple Partition Map makes. And the resulting image is either completely broken or Disk Utility fails creating the image. Sierra and below's Disk Utility and management frameworks image these CD's fine. Can someone try imaging a CD on Mojave or High Sierra and tell me if you get what I get?

Possibly the reason is that the partitions on the disk are in a slice in a slice, it seems on High Sierra and above. So something in the OS doesn't see the disk correctly? Try running diskutil list with one of the CD's in and you may see something like disk3s1s2, where as it should be just disk3s2, if you mount an ISO of any CD, you get just 1 slice after the main disk number.

I don't have Toast, but if someone does can you try imaging the same CD, then eject the CD, mount the Toast file and see if all the partitions show up in diskutil list, and properly and just post the output.

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Imaging CD's in 10.13+
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »
The usual Apple bullshit and very annoying, at this point I am convinced they want to erase the existence of any technology that get's "too old."  It's just too much of a coincidence that old code/support gets broken with every new OS. DVD imaging will be gone all together soon.  You guys forget that nobody owns DVDs, CDs, Firewire DV Cameras, G4s, G5s, etc.  We all own new macs with soldered-on RAM, no optical drives, and thunderbolt devices.  What a fucking joke.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 05:18:49 AM »
The usual Apple bullshit and very annoying

+1

while progress sometimes can mean that oild stuff stops working or code has to be rewritten, things like no support for certain hardware things, images, media, connection types, file formats, or the recent ban of 32 bit code from MacOS is nothing but intentional crippling.
insert arbitrary signature here

macStuff

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »
if u want my advice - go with Mavericks 10.9 if u can...
i use it on both my imac 2008 + my macbook pro 2010 laptop

its the last osx before the "new age osx versions" yosemite, elcap, sierra, highsierra,
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:32:28 AM by macStuff »

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
During my "Upgrading through every version of Mac OS Video", I noticed when I did the upgrade from 10.8 to 10.9, all the classic files lost their icons, and when attempting to open a classic application, it said "damaged or incomplete" rather than "classic no longer supported".

It was a few versions later when the icons came back and the files were correctly recognised.

I'm going to say Snow Leopard as most stable Mac OS (X).

macStuff

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »
yes but not everyone can run snow leopard on their mac
its always going to depend on what machine u are using

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 08:45:41 AM »
Yes... the love for Snow Leopard... the best Intel version ever, hands down... BUT

Many Host DAW, Plugin, and hardware vendors moved on... so then came LION and wow did we miss the stability and speed of SN...

Next Up, Mountain Lion, starting to push the "icloud" at us, yet very stable and a speed improvement... but alas...
Host DAW, Plugin, and hardware vendors moved on

Again...WTF... OK, let's rock out with Mavericks (screw the cats)... wow buggy-ness back, including dragging files to external devices taking 4X longer... really ? WTF and let's add some kernel crashes while booting for a a bunch of mac models that ran flawless under ML, yes, the fix was in... the "every other" POS OS X version, let's only test it on the most recent Macs and ignore any models older than 3 or 4 years, great marketing, hehehe... "You need a newer Mac my son... the OS is NOT the issue" also let's ramp up the "icloud" nagging with every version

Now we get to climb mountains, Yosemite, obviously above the best OS X due to the shear altitude... what broken backwards support on many fronts ?  Dull-looking flat icons :( Damn this thing is overlall ugly... and wow "icloud" is now basically being shoved down my throat, man this baby has security updates coming out like candy... was my old OS X so hack-able ?  Hmmm, we gained a little stability, but slowwww, does it really need this many background things to load ?  Booting is starting to feel like a real big deal :(  Oh Well, guess it is what it is and most DAW plugins (like NI) are taking a break here and resting for a while... but Logic X is fucking me over AGAIN... can't update it even with Yosemite

So... we get to El Cap; first release not very impressive and breaking backward compatibility yet again... but wow, these updates are coming out quick. It wins the slow boot award on older macs, but actually looks a little better (maybe I got used to ugly) and is Very stable, almost zero panics even on old hardware !  and now everything seems to be great if you buy a bunch of RAM and SSDs for every mac you own; wow, life is good... except for the poor customers upgrading to Sierra, there shit does not work at all, most can't even record music or edit video on there favorite app paltform... very sad... better park it here and tell Apple to go "F" themselves since Logic 10.4 needs Sierra... no thanks, I'm tired and had enough for a while...

The saga continues...

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:56:41 AM »
Yosemite had a old-style spinning wait cursor. But yes El Capitan felt good.

Apple is pushing Two Factor Authentication a lot in High Sierra+, so if you enable it at this time, you have 1 week to disable it and revert back to security questions, after the week, there's no way to turn it off. I was actually 3 days into that week, and I was lucky enough to be using iOS 6, which couldn't work with 2 factor and so none of my App Store purchases would work any more, any thing to do with my Apple ID didn't work, and then I found the email I received, and turned it off.

So don't enable two factor if you want to work with older versions of Mac OS / iOS, and use iCloud / iTunes.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 09:53:51 AM »

So don't enable two factor

Oh SHIIIT!  So THAT'S what happened... What a pain in the ass!! :'( :'( :'(

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Hang on...
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 09:55:53 AM »
Thanks for the overview rundown on OS X (later) versions. Very helpful.

As for iOS… Apple keeps pushing that latest upgrade to my iPhone every two weeks like clockwork. So I simply decline / disagree with their terms for the update and then trash the update file “push-parked” on the phone. Luckily I already killed the Two-Factor Authentication long ago on everything here.

Seems that for “those that know” …the value of our older machines will probably increase again.

Hang on. (To them.)
This Must Be The Place

macStuff

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
i never really used Lion OR Mtn Lion at all
they made way too many versions of osx if u ask me,
they should have just had more revisions within each "cat name"
rather then go to non-cat-names and a new os version every year is ridiculous