Author Topic: Using Generic USB audio output (Line in and Mic Out) on Mac OS 9  (Read 4403 times)

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
Using Generic USB audio output (Line in and Mic Out) on Mac OS 9
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:14:59 PM »
Hello, so with the lack of speaker control at my disposal, and the lack of microphone port on the G4 Mac Mini I am using, I am debating weather to try and use a USB audio device I found that has these ports added. I have seen some mixed reactions on what works and what doesn't, so I am asking here to clarify if this is a viable option, or if I need something specific, and if so, whats the smallest footprint I could feasibly achieve to gain these lost ports.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Using Generic USB audio output (Line in and Mic Out) on Mac OS 9
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 06:33:11 AM »
no nothing specific. any midi/audio interfaces that comes with OS9 drivers will work fine with the mac mini.

while i am normaly on the firewire track, for the mini usb and bus-powered seems to be the best solution, because you might want to keep the single fw port for storage media.

watch out, many bus-powered usb audio interfaces dont support full duplex, they can only record OR play.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 08:17:39 AM »
That's the thing; it doesn't. It's from gigaware, I assume a more modern product.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »

such thing as generic usb audio is probably not supported by OS9 at all. i´ve only see it for windows.

if you dont need more than 2 channels and if you dont need to record at the same time, then go for an usb powered ancient model which supports ASIO and OMS. if you are lucky you can get those starting from USD 30.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 03:54:06 PM »
several of the small Roland/Edirol UA interfaces (starting with UA-1ex) are supported under OS-9, but you won't find the drivers in the download tab of the product page.
Use the support page instead (scroll down to letter U and check what's available)
https://www.roland.com/global/support/updates_drivers/t_z/
Some of those drivers are also in the download section of this forum (iirc)

Offline SabithaSuki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 04:00:04 PM »
No worries, I'll just stick to using an M-Audio Transit for now. Thanks for all the support!