Author Topic: Trying to install OS9 on a G3 900MHz iBook (not happening).  (Read 12175 times)

Offline startech

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Trying to install OS9 on a G3 900MHz iBook (not happening).
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 08:47:52 PM »
Pics when I try to boot from the system restore Cd's (using option key and C key on different startups)

Offline startech

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 08:48:52 PM »
Option Key on OS 9 system restore startup (No disc detected)

Offline startech

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 08:49:37 PM »
Booting from the OS X 10.2 system restore CD (Recognized)...

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 02:04:23 AM »
I think the OS 9 restore CD's are not bootable, and are to be used from OS X. You install OS X, then when you are at the desktop, pop in the OS 9 restore disc, and install the package, then restore OS 9, and other applications. If you need to restore OS 9 from these CD's and you are on 10.4 Tiger, you have to use an updated version of the OS X Apple Software Restore Program: http://web.archive.org/web/20080102235426/http://docs.info.apple.com:80/article.html?artnum=301468
(look for "Software Restore for Tiger")

The Software Restore app, on the Restore CD you have, only recognises CD's in Jaguar, so here is the updated version link (from the page above) to the one that works on Tiger:

http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/061.xxxx.20051031.restore/SoftwareRestore.dmg

Install this package then open Software Restore, if it doesn't auto open, then pop in your os 9 restore CD, restore, then asks for 2nd disc, so put in restore CD 2, then when it asks do 3. Then you can open startup disk pref pane, and select OS 9 from your hard disk.

This is how I originally installed OS 9 on my PowerBook Ti.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:32:10 AM by RossDarker »

Offline jacksdad100

• Newcomer
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 05:54:52 AM »
HI,
I have the G3 i book 700 dual usb, restored graphics chip.
make sure on format that apple partition format is selected,(APF)
it will not boot with GUID nor MBR, see options in disk utility.tick box for 9 drivers.
most of the CDs in the drive Os9, 8,  7, should show up as disks on pressing Alt after the sound.
select Os9 as boot and enter .

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
G3 iBook Vi-day-o
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
"Shrimp boat's a-comin' and me wan go home..."

Is it absolutely necessary to have a version of OS X present on these G3 iBooks in order to load / run OS 9.2.2? Shooting here for a standalone “OS 9.2.2” only G3 iBook.

Just examined using both Mactron’s Bootable Rescue CD AND the Universal 9.2.2 Install disc here… and both (while bootable) only display the working desktop at 50% size on screen. Obviously something in the video-display department is missing? Monitor control panel “identifies” the display as “Monitor 2” although there is no “other” monitor attached. (And the “ATI Graphics Accelerator” extension is disabled at startup.)

This G3 iBook has the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 GPU.

Of course, have not gone through with the OS 9.2.2 install from either of the above discs after seeing that reduced screen symptom… but is it simply a matter of installing additional, particular ATI extension(s) / enablers… or again, must some form of OS X also be present?

Oh Great Gods of the G3 iBooks, speak unto us all.
This Must Be The Place

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
With my Titanium Book, to install OS 9, you have to install OS X first if you use the original disc, but if you want you can boot the laptop from an external disk, or put it into target disk mode, pop the CD into a machine that can access the CD, go to the CD in the finder, press command+shift+g and type in

.images

(no / before that by the way)

And all the images you can restore are there, you can mount OS9General, and copy the contents from the disk image to the disk you want OS 9 on, and boot it, and bless it if necessary

sudo bless -folder9 "/Volumes/VOLUMEHERE/System Folder"

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks Ross. The saga continues...
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
G3 iBook - 9.2.2 Install
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 12:02:35 PM »
Using similar Apple G3 iBook, OS 10.2 installer discs (from Mac Garden) was able to install 10.2 on a small partition but in an attempt to install OS 9.2.2 from the same disc set, it insisted that 9.2.2 must be installed on the same partition as OS 10.2. Au contraire…

Simply popped in Mactron’s Bootable Rescue CD, double-clicked the “Mac OS 9.2.2.img” and when that opened, simply drug the contents to the second partition. Ejected the CD, chose 9.2.2 in the Sys Prefs / Startup Disc and rebooted under OS 9.2.2. Done. Full screen fun.
This Must Be The Place

macStuff

Re: G3 iBook - 9.2.2 Install
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
Using similar Apple G3 iBook, OS 10.2 installer discs (from Mac Garden) was able to install 10.2 on a small partition but in an attempt to install OS 9.2.2 from the same disc set, it insisted that 9.2.2 must be installed on the same partition as OS 10.2.

yes this is the way the quicksilver 933mhz restore disks work - exactly the same. you can then choose to move the 9.22 install to another drive via drag n drop. but u have to installt he original hd contents back to the combo of 10.2 / 9.22
and then u can either upgrade osx to 10.3 or 10.4 (reccommended) or just erase the osx install (i wouldnt)

what i do is move the os9 install to a new partition or drive right away after install (talkng about my QS here)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 09:27:24 AM »
OK, thanks for at least testing it, so the HD appears to be fine, which is great considering those iBooks suck to take apart, better give yourself at least 3 hours if you need to one day :(

Now, we move forward...
Diehard has a mild headache and looks down at the second cup of coffee...

Didn't we not create a a Universal 9.2.2 as a bootable CD (with all the latest updates) to make it an easy breezy install for those that have restore disks (like the MDD) that require OS X first before installing OS9 ?
Oh Yeah... hear it is:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2109.0.html

Now, if that CD does not work for some reason, we have a universal (should work with all 9.1 era macs) factory stock Apple 9.1 CD (bootable), and all original Apple image here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,808.0.html

I am at loss to understand what is on the original iBook CDs that is needed so badly... maybe it is a valid need, please enlighten us :)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
I am at loss to understand what is on the original iBook CDs that is needed so badly...

Just now, with OS 10.2 resident on this iBook’s first partition… option-booted with the Universal 9.2.2, single partitioned and then, using that ASR… installed a standalone OS 9.2.2. Only caveat is that the Universal disc boots and screen-displays @ 50% …but upon reboot after install, screen is full-size.

Not certain what is on the iBook install CD, other than the possibility of some OS X “enabler” that allows certain “other” CDs to be recognized / booted. Startech wiped his original 10.4 with an OS 9 or 9.1 install disk and possibly negated such “other” CD recognition / boot capability. (Much like the olde MDD scenario.) Afterwards, he couldn’t get the iBook to recognize anything other than the OS 10.2 restore discs.

At any rate, this iBook is now running solo OS 9.2.2. The Universal 9.2.2 CD works very well indeed, as long as you haven’t wiped 10.2 completely before attempting it’s use and you don’t get “spooked” by the initial 50% display.

And yes, like macStuff… I prefer to have 10.4 on a second partition. But, this iBook is leaving my workbench NOW!
This Must Be The Place

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »
But, this iBook is leaving my workbench NOW!

Excellent, can I ship you about 20 macs that need troubleshooting and prepping :)  Since you obviously have the time...lol

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
*/*
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 09:57:38 PM »
Go look at those hooks in your closet (just as I'm now uneasy about pudding). ;)
And I'm still vexed that there's no Farfisa Compact Organ within the Instant DAW.
Mo' fun ev-e-ry day. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V-saYmzUyg
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:22:16 PM by Fury deBongo »
This Must Be The Place

macStuff

Re: */*
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 04:35:30 AM »
And I'm still vexed that there's no Farfisa Compact Organ within the Instant DAW.

you do know that is completely possible to make another "save-point" instant-restore image right?
that image was only the one that die-hard made. i had planned on making one focused on using ableton live as the main DAW app.
but i soon had to pack up all my stuff to move to a new house and havent ever gotten back into things to the level at which i was at before.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: */*
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »

farfisa said that they are waiting for VST 4.0 and 128 bit audio.

everything below that is simply not enough to create authentic italian, mindless lo-fi tootling.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Tootling leichtfertigkeit!
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2018, 05:35:36 PM »
...below that is simply not enough to create authentic italian, mindless lo-fi tootling.
Shirley you did not mean “mindless”? (Double-negative entendre.)

Feigned Farfisa snobbery?

Both the Farfisa and the early VOX organs belong to that esoteric und very highly-select group of upper-echelon instruments known as: “Instruments-of-Unbridled-Passion”! (Ranking right up there with the accordian, the flutophone and kalimba!) Push any of the aforementioned through a Leslie cabinet and well… there IS true bliss und absolute sheer, diaphanous nirvana! (With just a hint of added echo of course, for good measure.) ::)

C’mon VST 4.0! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinberg
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:27:00 PM by Fury deBongo »
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Tootling leichtfertigkeit!
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
Shirley you did not mean “mindless”? (Double-negative entendre.)

double dutch because of what? because i paired it with the adjective "italian" already so that further explanations that it is shit might be unneccesary?

hey, you said "kalimba", "tootling" and "nirvana" in one sentence! do they belong together?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Tootling leichtfertigkeit!
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2018, 06:00:24 PM »

C’mon VST 4.0! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinberg

VST 2 runs out this month - it lastet 17 years! :)

so we can hopefully count on another 17 years without the disturbant "sound" of farfisa emulations.

close before we need to have fixed the y2040 bug.