Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > General Hardware Discussions

question re: usb serial adapters + software dongles

<< < (2/3) > >>

vectrex:

Just ran a quick test in OS 9 with an FTDI USB to serial cable with the drivers I linked above.

Used Max/MSP 4.1 to probe the serial connection as a way of testing, as you can see it is working well and the serial output blinks each time I click to send the message.

DieHard:
WTF !   This is definitely VALUABLE info. and we need to sticky this !  Working Serial over USB is OS 9.... I am still amazed

Metrophage:
I assumed that this was common knowledge, those FTDI drivers have been around since the beginning. Once I get my Mini set up, I am going to try installing a modem serial port in it for MIDI. But if that doesn't work out my backup plan has been to use the FTDI driver and Firmata on an Arduino and Max.

coachla:

--- Quote from: Metrophage on August 24, 2018, 03:50:54 PM ---I assumed that this was common knowledge, those FTDI drivers have been around since the beginning. Once I get my Mini set up, I am going to try installing a modem serial port in it for MIDI. But if that doesn't work out my backup plan has been to use the FTDI driver and Firmata on an Arduino and Max.

--- End quote ---

Keyspan USB/serial devices work well for MIDI on Mac  OS9, though I use the SXPro. I agree with Metrophage. USB is a one lane tunnel, and can't  compare to serial with  regard to jitter and latency.

macStuff:
how does any of that relate to using PC dongles for Mac apps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version