Author Topic: Soundhack conversion issue  (Read 5628 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Soundhack conversion issue
« on: August 21, 2018, 12:15:34 AM »
On my OS9 machine I use Soundhack to convert mp3s to Sound Designer files for use in DAWs. It works fine there. But on my older systems running OS8.6, it gives me an error that the mp3 file header must be changed. I do that but the file is then unplayable. Is there some sort of extension that I'm missing in OS8.6 or something that makes it do that?

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
Re: Soundhack conversion issue
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 01:59:55 AM »
Are you using the same version of Soundhack on both systems? I always had mediocre support for use of MP3 in OS 8-9 generally. If I had to guess, I'd say the most versions have support for RIFF-based and mostly much older formats, and that Tom added MP3 import only on a much later because by 1999 or so, so many of his students were trying to use those files. Maybe around the time of the CarbonLib version? But if CarbonLib itself was the issue, the app simply wouldn't run.

I don't remember what I would have tried using for this in 8.6, which I did a lot of work in. Looking through some old 1999-2001 CDs of old projects today I see that I did convert some MP3s I found, and even (ack) real audio files. Maybe SoundApp PPC or Amadeus?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »
i m not even ware of that function in SH. it probably uses quicktime? will you accept recommendations for alternative apps? ;)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:43:45 PM »
i really dont mean to hijack this thread (sorry!) but i was just thinking about soundhack last night.  i currently only have 68K versions of soundhack: 0.63 and 0.873FPU because at the time i had a 68K machine.  now i have a PPC and would like to keep experimenting with soundhack.  i know 0.873 was available in a PPC flavor, and i could have sworn professor erbe kept a copy in his boneyard, but i can only find links to OSX versions (0.893, 0.896 etc.) there and when i google.

does anyone have a PPC copy of (or good link to) soundhack i can run on 7.6 or OS9?  thanks!

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
i m not even ware of that function in SH. it probably uses quicktime? will you accept recommendations for alternative apps? ;)

The reason I have SoundHack at all is strictly for the mp3 conversion feature. I'd definitely use something else, if you can recommend it. I'd like a 'bulk' converter too. SoundHack seems to not be set up for mass conversion, unfortunately.

It dawned on me last night that my OS9 machine came with a later version of Quicktime than my OS8.6 machine. I upgraded it to QT6 and lo and behold, now it works fine.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 12:59:36 AM »
thought so.

but this program is really not the first choice to decompress mpeg.

have you looked into quicktime player itself for covertig files?

for batch processing you might want to try media cleaner (a QT frontend) or TC spark (comes with 3rd party codec)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 11:52:54 PM »
If I remember correctly TC Spark didn't convert mp3s to SDII files like I need, at least in bulk. I don't remember exactly what it did, but it didn't do what I needed to.