Author Topic: My G4 Tower has insomnia!  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Eklutna

• Newcomer
My G4 Tower has insomnia!
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:27:10 AM »
May I say first:  I am new here, and I have not had time to read everything here, and may never.  If my question has been answered multitudes of times, I apologize, but I'm going to ask it again anyway:

So I have had Macs in my life since my very first Performa a good thirty years ago.  I've got 'em all over my house, but I'm also on my fourth or fifth iMac, and I've forgotten a lot.  I used to think I knew just about everything about what was on my hard drive and how to fix it, but maybe not:

I've just acquired an old Quicksilver G4 tower.  It came installed with far more arcane software than I'd ever want, and I found it overwhelming, so I wiped the hard drive clean and reinstalled from a 9.2.2 start-up disk, dragging the system folder onto the G4 hard drive.  Seemed to work.  I then installed OSX 10.4.11.  All seemed well.  However, when I start up in OS 9, my computer refuses to sleep:  it gives me some message about "missing software, go back and reinstall the original software."  The guy who sold it to me suggested I rebuild the desktop within OS X, and I did that, and it did not help.  In fact, my computer hiccuped several times, but now seems fine.  Meanwhile, my Mac can't sleep in OX 9.2.2.  Any suggestions?  I do have the software disks that came with the G4 I owned years back, but it wasn't Quicksilver.  I'm not sure what to do.  Supposedly the backup disk I got with this one had an adequate version of 9.2.2, but the tower thinks something is missing.

One possibility:  although I have the "new" old Quicksilver, I am using the old Monitor I had with my original G4 tower.  Could this be creating some problem?

I am far from an expert, although I'm a relatively competent user.  Any suggestions?  Several days later, I guess not....

Thanks,
Eklutna
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:31:22 PM by Eklutna »