Author Topic: rarest of the rare - dual G4 ZIF upgrade  (Read 11396 times)

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
Re: rarest of the rare - dual G4 ZIF upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »
I didn't know about those. I've got to wonder about those who buy/sell USED hardware for greater price than new. Not only are they asking $999 for it - it's local pickup only! My guess is if there was anybody in their neighborhood willing to drop that bread for one of these, they would know each other already.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 08:55:47 AM »
This guy is smoking some serious weed asking $999, he is giving no warranty, and has modified it at that.  What an asshole, it is like having a vinatge car that you messed with and then give no warranty and ask a price that is absolutely crazy...

I MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEES OUR WARRANTIES ON THIS ITEM!!! NO RETURNS WILL ACCEPTED, AND NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! I have the upgrade currently in my old beige G3 desktop, and it boots & runs fine, but some G3 motherboards are better than others, so your results may vary.

Hmmm... red flag, thing probably overheats, due to a shitty mod, or has damage from prior overheating and that is why he did the mod

Also note: I modified this upgrade a little by attaching fanned heat sinks to each of the processors with thermal cement and soldering the wires for the fans to the back of the power socket (see pics), as opposed to using larger passive heat sinks.
Yeah, that's only a little mod... so he heats up the board and solders to the molex... and if the original heat sinks are passive... what was the molex for ? Was it to power the CPUs ? So let's just tap power off the molex and ignore we are drawing amps for fans with no schematic... I mean looks ok, but you just fucked with something that was engineered by professionals and you "made it better".  Don't get me wrong, we all mod things here like crazy, but a CPU upgrade ?  Not smart IMO.

Ready for the biggest red flag of all !!!
The whole package fits in the cake-box G3 desktop chassis this way (and still fits 66Mhz fsb G3 tower as well). This setup runs around 74 degrees Celsius in my system, which is well below operable limits. Unfortunately, I can't show a full battery of tests or demonstration because I pulled my hard drive years ago & extensions have to be installed to enable the second processor
OK... so this is why you can't test it ? Ask a GRAND $1000 for the thing and you can't pop in a hard drive, load OS 9, and install the extensions, you obviously still have the system, right ?  Pretty damn lazy if you ask me.  This is the person who whips out the soldering iron, cements on fans, but can't load an OS... whole thing stinks... he will have it in his collection forever.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE DOLLARS for something that runs 74˚C (165˚F) and you can’t even take the time to clean the damned thing? (Reminds me of those who espouse "manifold-baking" of food on long trips. Mmmm, tastes a little like exhaust fumes.) Just look at the close-up image! It’s been sitting in that machine for quite some time collecting dust. Ha-ha-ha!

Oh Gosh, if only I could get my ol’ G3 to run TWO to EIGHT times faster… that would most definitely be worth it… AND I could make a grilled cheese sandwich too, in no time at all.

(Wait a minute… the Easter Bunny is calling me on my cell phone.)

Same seller had a “Sonnet Crescendo 7200 G4 400MHz/512k Mac/Amiga processor upgrade, rare, w/RAM!” listed for $799.00… but “best offer price” ...was accepted.

Puh-leeze! ::)
This Must Be The Place

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »
We should flood his auction with about 100 "Make Offers" at $25 to $30 bucks, I just did one at $20 that was auto declined

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:43:16 AM »
Not to be outbid by DieHard... I'm going $21.50!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNnFEAj7p8
This Must Be The Place

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 11:55:30 AM »
Love the video... I guess you are mentioning my "evil-ness" hehehe

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 12:10:37 PM »
Yes, perhaps you should alter your headgear / avi? ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYaq3mpTksU

"Robert, tell me about computers."
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »
I've sold stuff on fleabay for years. A popular pastime is to find ways to get around the rules and procedures.

This guy is simply running a blind auction.

By Putting up a "Buy it now" price that he (and everybody else) knows is ridiculous, he can keep the listing up and take offers for as long as he wants. He collects them all, then when the offers peter out he can either start contacting the buyers, starting with the highest offer, knowing they almost certainly didn't find that thing anywhere else, OR if there aren't enough offers or they're all too low, he can just start all over again.

macStuff

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 06:24:59 PM »
lol as if anyones gonna buy that for an american G note

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »
some doofus actually paid $600 for the thing. this is why we cant get nice things anymore.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 12:21:51 AM »
some doofus actually paid $600 for the thing. this is why we cant get nice things anymore.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

The upgrade wasn't that good to begin with, they dropped support for it with 10.1, and refused to release the source code for the driver that allowed both CPU's to work with 10.0, so someone else couldn't fix it.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »

OMG, I have so much stuff to sell to Mr. Doofus... the son of Jack Meahoff, please give him a link to the site to register so we can all PM him; I am sure we have some great deals for him :)