Author Topic: Connecting Beige G3-9.2 to wireless network  (Read 3079 times)

Offline LewkBryWalker

• Newcomer
Connecting Beige G3-9.2 to wireless network
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:01:20 PM »
Hello. I'm loving this forum. This is my first post, so be gentle with me. Hope this is the right place for this.
I have a beige G3 desktop, 300 mhz, 320 ram, running 9.2.2 fine. My goal is to see if it will show up on my wireless home network. I have bought and configured an IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi N Adapter for Home or Office, GWU627 (attached), and when I connect it to the G3's ethernet, all three lights on the adapter are on steady green. When I check the Apple System Profiler it says the active network port is the ethernet. It shows up on my ISP's home network manager with an IP address (image attached). So I think it is there, I just don't know how to get it to show up on the network to transfer files to and from it, or to see if there is any way I can get it on the internet. When I try to connect TO server (the G3) from an OS X Mac with it's shown IP address, I get "problem connecting to server" message. And when I try to connect to anything FROM the G3, I'm lost. Chooser shows nothing, and TCP/IP control panel  looks like it's configured right, but I'm not completely sure of that, and I get nowhere with the network browser. So what am I doing wrong?

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Connecting Beige G3-9.2 to wireless network
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:44:37 PM »
iirc I had similiar problems connecting a Powerbook running OS9 to OSX machines with file sharing enabled. Imho it fails due to modern security in Apple's network protocol stack.
No sharing services shown in chooser regardless who was sender or receiver.
Therefore I assume it's not a WiFi Problem.
My problem was solved by a Synology NAS that runs AFP compatible file services.
Since these boxes are usually based on Linux and AFP is (afaik) part of the kernel, most of them should work in a similiar way. Just check for the AFP item in specs.

macStuff

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:56:09 PM »
i use the wifi pods provided to me by my isp (Bell Canada) that are 5G optimized - works great!
https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/WiFi

they are made to go with my router/modem hub + i think they also relay off of each other to improve wireless coverage

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
So is it all ok with an ethernet cable?

How far can you ping? Adapter? Router? OS X Mac? Internet?

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »
sorry that my post lacked some precision: I had the same problems using ethernet cables. Nothing visible in chooser and with a manually entered IP adress connection started, but then broke down with a network error or timed out.
If your Mac received a valid IP from your router (as pictured) then the device seems to work at least basically.
OS9 has quite some age and is (for obvious reason) unaware of newer protocols.
I never tried an internet connection for that section of my network is intended to never connect externally (DAWs without network security/anti-malware and developing machines).

What I liked most was the flawless handling of OS9 files with resource/dataforks on the NAS, while simultanously accessing pure .wav files from an iPad (which itself is a rather 'closed' environment regarding file exchange).
Imho it's generally more simple to setup and check connectivity cable based and introduce the additional wireless layer after success.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 11:14:49 PM »
what version of OSX are you running? to my knowledge the OS9 file sharing capabilities went out with the last PPC-compatible OSX, which was 10.5. I use 10.9 on my home studio machine, and it cannot directly talk to my OS9 machine. To get around this, I set up a VM on my home server with VMWare Fusion running 10.5 (which is also Intel compatible) and the file sharing functions work correctly. its an intermediate step for sure, but it has been working for a year now for me with zero issues.

it would help to know a bit more about your use case; what functionality are you trying to achieve by having this connected to the internet? TBQH, besides local network file sharing tasks, OS9 is so old at this point its near useless for most internet functionality - forget trying to do most any kind of web surfing.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline LewkBryWalker

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I haven't been back for a while to check responses. My main hope was just to use the G3 to run old software and have it connected to my wireless network so that I could move files to and from it. I realize it probably won't do much as far as web browsing. My main computer is running High Sierra, but I have one other machine that I keep at 10.5 just to run some older software too, so your suggestions are something I will check out.