Author Topic: Cubase 5 & external controller mapping  (Read 4392 times)

Offline kharm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Cubase 5 & external controller mapping
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:42:29 AM »
Hi all,

I have Cubase 5 (VST Score) on a G3 Indigo iMac and it's working well with a TASCAM US-428 as both audio interface and also controller (it has 8 faders along with other pots, buttons and a jog wheel).

I would like to use the 8 faders to control 8 'groups', rather than just controlling individual channels (by default the faders 1-8 control channels 1-8, and there is a 'bank' up/down control so that you can shift it to control channels 9-16, 17-24, etc.

I can't seem to get it to control the groups on the Cubase mixer though. Does anyone know how to go about creating a custom map that would allow this?

Hope the explanation is clear enough. Thanks in advance for any help!

Kharm

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Cubase 5 & external controller mapping
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:50:12 AM »
did you configure it under remote setup? it is directly supported by VST5.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline kharm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 06:00:03 AM »
Thanks IIO, yes it is configured and works as intended (faders can control any of the regular channels in Cubase).

My issue is that I would like to (and I can't find a way to) assign the physical faders to control the group faders in Cubase.

What I would like is to have the following:

Fader 1-assigned to Group 1 (controlling both Left and Right channels)
Fader 2-assigned to Group 2 (controlling both Left and Right channels)
etc. up to Fader/group 8

I'm working on a mix with about 18 channels - several are stereo. It's clumsy to use the 'bank up/down' buttons to have the 8 faders control channels 1-8, 9-16, 17-24. It would be nice to have different channels grouped together (drums & percussion on one group, D/I & Mic'd bass sent to one group, etc) so that 8 faders could control the whole mix without having to bank up/down. But I haven't been able to get the faders to control the group channels yet ... I'm not sure it's possible!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
maaybe it doesnt work for groups aat all? i cant remember. but i can check now.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline kharm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
I appreciate you looking into it. I really like the unit and it's one of the main reasons I haven't upgraded the system as it won't work with modern computers. It's just a small issue that I'd like to be able to assign the faders to whatever channels I choose (eg. If I have stereo tracks it would be nice to just have one fader assigned to the stereo channel instead of it taking up two faders, which essentially wastes a fader).