Author Topic: Help installing Steinberg VST instruments  (Read 15154 times)

Offline neurocrash

• Valued Member
Help installing Steinberg VST instruments
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:39:51 PM »
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with the installation of Steinberg VSTs, specifically, The Grand and Virtual Guitarist.  If this isn't the appropriate place to get help, please send me a private message if you can assist.

I burned The Grand cds, but when I put one in the drive it says "the disk The Grand cannot be used because it cannot be found" then ejects the disk.  This happens with all three disks.

Virtual Guitarist fails the CD disk check.

I'm using a G4 MDD with os9.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Help installing Steinberg VST instruments
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »
Hi,
The posted cd images for Steinberg's "The Grand" in the download area seem to be the Windows version, or at least I can't get os9 or osx to see anything but the windows executables and dat files.  Do you think it is possible that these are the wrong images?

Thanks
The CD's are "Windows only", the Mac Os 9 installer is on separate download file called:
The_Grand_1.05_OS_9.sit

installation Instructions:
− Record CD1 to a real CD and mount it on the Desktop.
− Run the  Mac Os 9 installer
− Copy the contents of CD2 and CD3 on the folder where the plugin is installed (or create a new one where you wish).

Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline neurocrash

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 01:55:24 PM »
Hi,
I had not been able to insert the burned CD1 because as soon as I do so, finder opens an alert box that says:

"The disk "THEGRAND_1" cannot be used, because it cannot be found".

When I click ok the cd is immediately ejected.

The same thing occurs with CD2 and CD3 whether burned or mounted with Toast.

I was only able to keep the CDs from being ejected by installing the Joliet file system.

http://www.tempel.org/joliet/

After mounting burned CD1 and installing with The_Grand_1.05_OS_9.sit, I tried copying the following files from the CDs to the "The Grand" folder in the VST Plugins directory:

The Grand.dat
The Grand1.dat
THEGRAND1
THEGRAND2

After running Logic and selecting The Grand as a plugin, Logic crashes.

Thanks

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
we had longer discussion and at the end i gave up because it seemed impossible what he sees.

so these are the windows versions? why that? ...
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »
we had longer discussion and at the end i gave up because it seemed impossible what he sees.

so these are the windows versions? why that? ...

A lot of the Steinberg stuff is dual PC/Mac formatted install CDs/DVDs;  same sample content for either OS, that is why

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 07:16:16 PM »
he says most of them wont mount at all.

normally when you put a steinberg CD in the drive, with no joliet extension you would see only the mac volume (and with you would see both.)

if a CD doesnt even mount there must be something wrong on either side.

Offline neurocrash

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
BTW I downloaded the ISOs from another source, and the same thing happens.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 08:42:18 AM »

@neurocrash: it's really difficult to help you - I think -, due to enormous amount of anomalies you're experiencing.
In my opinion you should start by checking the HD integrity, the healt of the downloaded files, your CD Recorder/Reader ...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
he already tried to burn the CDs under windows and then they (==some) also dont work. it is really weird.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 11:54:29 PM »
can you share a link to where you got the downloads so we may try to reproduce this?
you can PM them to me if you like
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline neurocrash

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 07:21:27 PM »

@neurocrash: it's really difficult to help you - I think -, due to enormous amount of anomalies you're experiencing.
In my opinion you should start by checking the HD integrity, the healt of the downloaded files, your CD Recorder/Reader ...

I've tried two CD recorders, one on Windows, one on Mac.  I've tried installing from SSD, HDD, and from network.  The CDs work find on Windows, the Macs just won't allow the cds to stay in the drive or even mount the images unless I install the Joliet file system.

Offline neurocrash

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 07:30:22 PM »
can you share a link to where you got the downloads so we may try to reproduce this?
you can PM them to me if you like

It was from a bittorrent site btbit: I searched for Steinberg Grand

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5ed7c6139253a2ea0b07437ea7106ff678c598cf&dn=Steinberg%20-%20The%20Grand%20VSTi

In any case, I found a new copy of Steinberg The Grand on ebay and bought it, so if I can get it working I'll try to share CD images.

I was able to make a burnable CD image of Emagic SoundDiver 3 which passes the CD copy protection check that I could share, although it has to be burned with Alcohol 120 on Windows.  I'll see what it takes with The Grand.

Aloha

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 10:29:17 PM »
I was able to make a burnable CD image of Emagic SoundDiver 3 which passes the CD copy protection check that I could share, although it has to be burned with Alcohol 120 on Windows.  I'll see what it takes with The Grand.

Aloha
FYI: We have a working image of Soundiver 3 including upgrades that works. The CD image suffices for the periodic "CD is present" check. I think everything is there but if you can check the contents against your CD for anything missing that would be great.

Offline paule

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 02:08:49 AM »
Hi all,
as far as I remember, it took me also a while to install "THE GRAND". Via OS9 it doesn't work because the CDs (as written here) are not recognized when burnt.
It did a trick for me: I have OS 10.3.9 on the same partition and I recognized that OS X sees the TheGrand-CD. I just started my system with OS X and OS9 inside with classic mode. Because OS X saw the CD, I started it there and installed "TheGrand" in the Classic (OS9) VST folder. This trick did it for me.

Best, paule.

Offline neurocrash

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 05:32:55 AM »
I made Mac readable ISOs of The Grand, burned the first ISO to disk, and it installed and passed the copy protection check.  Unfortunately, when trying to open the VST, Logic crashes.  This has been the case with several VSTs so I suspect that some of them just don't like Logic. (Arturia Moog Modular and MiniMoog both crash it too). I tried uninstalling The Grand and re-installing from the original CDs but it still crashes when opened in Logic.

In any case, I can share the Grand ISOs that I have since they are Mac os9 readable.

Regarding SoundDiver, the files in that archive are not exactly what are on my CD.  I can share an ISO or a .sit of the files.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:53:11 PM by neurocrash »

Offline neurocrash

• Valued Member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 03:53:19 AM »
Can anyone advise how I would go about uploading the files to the download area?

macStuff

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 02:33:00 AM »
Can anyone advise how I would go about uploading the files to the download area?

i would suggest u upload to any file sharing service + post the link here and then ask the admins to copy the files after thats done..
takes care of 2 birds with one stone and u dont have to wait on anyone

Offline GP

• Valued Member
  • Ex Apple Technician & Current Nerd
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 01:15:11 AM »

I burned The Grand cds, but when I put one in the drive it says "the disk The Grand cannot be used because it cannot be found" then ejects the disk.  This happens with all three disks.

Just tapping in here as I have the exact same issues. The discs appear fine in Windows as they appear to be Windows discs. I tried inserting Disc 1 into my G4 quicksilver and it just gives the error mentioned above and ejects the disk. Regardless of whether I run the included separate mac installer the disc doesn't mount so I can't progress.

Did you ever upload your working versions anywhere? Would be greatly appreciated.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 03:57:05 AM »
it is using the "steinberg CD protection" and you (not you, the uploader) can easily make a wrong image when he tries to copy from his original via "copy" instead of creating a real master iso file and then burn this.

this is what happend to me, too, when i once made a safety copy of my original. dragged the CD to toast in OSX -> and broken.

but do you have OSX and tried yet to install from there? some guy above once said that would work for him.

the authorisation process is the same in both OS, and to install the OS9 plug-in file that will work from the classic enviroment.

(p.s. this method is also required to install the fucked up installer of the free version of virsyn tera (german keyboard magazine and others) )

Offline GP

• Valued Member
  • Ex Apple Technician & Current Nerd
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 05:08:22 AM »
but do you have OSX and tried yet to install from there? some guy above once said that would work for him.

Yes, I have OSX 10.4.11 with Classic installed on my Powerbook G4. I installed Cubase first under classic, even though it doesn't run in OSX under classic I did so in order for the installer to put the VSTs in the right spot. I burned a physical disc, inserted it and it mounted to the desktop. I ran the installer for macOS9 which ran under classic and after a long wait of it searching the HDD first for the files it eventually checked the mounted CD and installed. I now have the VST's directly under the cubase VST folder and I copied the contents of CD 2 and CD 3 in there (two files). I'm now moving the files over to my Powermac (takes ages over these older machines) and I'll post back if it works. Will share the direct files on here too in order to solve this problem for others.