Author Topic: ISO PT 6.4 for OS X TDM Mix Plus  (Read 4884 times)

Offline sonicboom

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
ISO PT 6.4 for OS X TDM Mix Plus
« on: July 06, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was recently given (FREE!) an entire TDM Mix Plus system from a friend. The system is a B&W G3 350Mhz (rev. 2), has a griffin G port installed, ATTO express SCSI card, Mix and Farm cards with 5x flex cable, 888|24 (rev T, so full 24 bit), USD, several SCSI drives in external enclosures, Iomega Superdisk drive, tons of cables and tons of software on floppies and CDs. PT 4 and 5 installers, manuals, etc

Anyway, this is a turnkey system that works just fine and I'm happy enough with that but.....

I'd also like to move this system into my MDD 1.25 DP for the extra processing power and consolidation to one machine for OS9/X on separate drives. I have OS X Panther, but need a Pro Tools TDM 6.4 installer....I have a 6.4.1cs4 upgrade but need 6.4 to be installed.

I've looked in the DL section and didn't see it there. I also did a search and was not successful. Maybe I missed it?

Any help is much appreciated. I have a bunch of things to upload once I get this thing up and running the way I'd like.

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: ISO PT 6.4 for OS X TDM Mix Plus
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:19:01 AM »
nice gift - I run almost the same setup on a retired G3 b/w  8)
If you didn't yet, you may check this thread from the Avid forum for more details
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=688277&postcount=33
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=695263&postcount=46

Imho the main features of OSX are faster networking/inet and USB 2.0 support.
Regarding PT 6 it's the automatic delay compensation of tracks, but that wasn't targeted to Mix Systems (according to the supporters' explanations).

So I wouldn't bother too much about that last version of Mix in OSX, but rather enjoy the increased general performance of the MDD. Up to your mind, though.
(admittedly I found it interesting that s.o. ran Mix (without ADC) on a Powerbook G4 via a slot expansion chassis)

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 06:14:52 AM »
Interfaces working only on the first two cards is a non starter for those of us that have stacked up card after card in a pci chassis.

I now run a Mix core, 5 Mix farms and 2 DSP farms.

This information is really useful, Astroman, and shows OS9 as the best option for a PT Mix setup.

Many thanks for this!

Offline sonicboom

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »
nice gift - I run almost the same setup on a retired G3 b/w  8)
If you didn't yet, you may check this thread from the Avid forum for more details
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=688277&postcount=33
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=695263&postcount=46

Imho the main features of OSX are faster networking/inet and USB 2.0 support.
Regarding PT 6 it's the automatic delay compensation of tracks, but that wasn't targeted to Mix Systems (according to the supporters' explanations).

So I wouldn't bother too much about that last version of Mix in OSX, but rather enjoy the increased general performance of the MDD. Up to your mind, though.
(admittedly I found it interesting that s.o. ran Mix (without ADC) on a Powerbook G4 via a slot expansion chassis)

Thanks Astroman, good stuff there. I hadn't seen those specific notes. I guess I'd still like to try it out for the added processing power, RAM and other niceties of OS X but I may end up just using it as is with OS 9.

So, I have the 38MB 6.4.1 WEB installer. Is that a standalone installer or an upgrade and will I be able to use my 5.1.3 authorization key? I'm guessing no and hoping the auth code on the forum here works. Otherwise, again, I'm more than happy to use this on OS 9.

Thanks again!

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »
tbh I never had the feeling of increased power in OSX - which took up to version 6 to become a reliable environment. But that runs on Intel only, no PPC.
The perceived impression of OSX is a virtual snail (compared to OS9) imho ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 05:57:30 PM »
a 733 DA is a great machine for mix (or even HD) systems, because it has one extra PCI slot.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 11:23:50 PM »
a 733 DA is a great machine for mix (or even HD) systems, because it has one extra PCI slot.

Wow, never noticed that... great info for those adding a lot of cards

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 05:51:55 AM »
i recently also learned that all four PCI slots in the 733 DA were 64 bit.

that is why you could actually keep that machine even when switching to OSX and HD / HD accell.

for protools TDM users this machine seems to be superior to the later QS series.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 08:34:36 PM »
whats the method to set up Pro Tools TDM 6.4.1cs4 for MIX Systems on Mac OS X 10.3?

Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 02:52:14 PM »
whats the method to set up Pro Tools TDM 6.4.1cs4 for MIX Systems on Mac OS X 10.3?

http://secure.digidesign.com/services/avid/kb/downloads.cfm?digiArticleId=4956

Install TDM 6.4.1

Install all available updates
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 12:27:16 AM »
All dead links you got those files

All i got is an ilok with the sd card for now
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2023, 04:50:40 AM »
If you right click and save link as it works. It doesnt work as direct click
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 04:57:37 AM »
Wowzers niice find